lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
DoctorJD
Not Yet Wild

Default Do I need to prime my fuel system after...

...a draining the gas?

Here's the situation:
2005 TXT with the Robin engine. It's been sitting a few years so I started a "revitalization" project a few weeks ago. New battery, plugs, adjusted valves, fresh oil, clean filter. I made my way to the fuel system. At this point, the cart is running, but not really cleanly. Put in a new fuel filter (confirmed installed in the right direction) and I pulled the carb to clean it, so basically, I've now got a completely dry fuel system.

As I suspected, the carb was pretty nasty, and the pilot was almost crusted closed. Cleaned everything, put it back together and reinstalled. Now, it will turn over but not start. Thing is, I don't even see fuel in the fuel filter. While the tank is low on gas, the pickup tube is well below the fuel level by an inch or so.

Do I need to prime the fuel system after running it dry like that? If not, then what should I look at?

Bonus question:
Upon reassembling everything, I noticed that there's a small metal plate that covers the intake side of the carb. It's just a bit smaller than the diameter of the carb inlet and mounts on a couple of studs that keep it about 5-6mm off of the inlet. Is this some kind of governor, and if so, can I toss it?

Thanks!!
DoctorJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Do I need to prime my fuel system after...

If everything has been apart you would need to crank it enough to produce enough suction at the fuel pump to lift the fuel from the tank, through the line to the pump. Air expands as easily as it compresses, so yes it can take a bit to get liquid fuel to that point. Once fuel gets there it pushes through the pump, through the line to the carb, fill the float bowl...THEN the carb can flow fuel to the engine. I've been known to prime it by some air pressure at the fuel tank inlet -yes I've put my mouth to it and blown *out not in* to push fuel to the pump.

That plate across the carb inlet prevents bigger things (mice, acorns, etc) from entering the carb. Doesn't really restrict air flow. Best to leave it where it is.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
DoctorJD
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
If everything has been apart you would need to crank it enough to produce enough suction at the fuel pump to lift the fuel from the tank, through the line to the pump. Air expands as easily as it compresses, so yes it can take a bit to get liquid fuel to that point. Once fuel gets there it pushes through the pump, through the line to the carb, fill the float bowl...THEN the carb can flow fuel to the engine. I've been known to prime it by some air pressure at the fuel tank inlet -yes I've put my mouth to it and blown *out not in* to push fuel to the pump.

That plate across the carb inlet prevents bigger things (mice, acorns, etc) from entering the carb. Doesn't really restrict air flow. Best to leave it where it is.
Thanks for the reply meimk. I'll give it a little more time to build pressure. My background is with motocross bikes, so with fuel being gravity-fed, this isn't something I've had to deal with. I went ahead and reinstalled that plate yesterday, that explanation makes good sense.
DoctorJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The metal plate is a diverter for the fireball when the cart backfires through the carb. Not joking. Try starting the cart with starting fluid while it is in neutral. The pulse pumps are not the easiest things to prime.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO