lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Strong exhaust smell & oil usage

2007 ST 2+2

Adjusted governor, goes about 23-24mph

The exhaust has a much stronger exhaust smell. Also, I notice I’m using oil, as I’ve had to add some.

I assume this is simply because I’ve adjusted the governor, but Fogure I should ask here and see what people say.

Doesn’t blow smoke ir anything while driving. Just has a stronger smell.
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Strong exhaust smell & oil usage

When you adjusted the governor for more speed you are allowing the engine to rev higher. More rpm, more fuel use, more potential for wear and oil consumption. Might be a good idea to install a tach and make sure you aren't exceeding max safe rpm.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
When you adjusted the governor for more speed you are allowing the engine to rev higher. More rpm, more fuel use, more potential for wear and oil consumption. Might be a good idea to install a tach and make sure you aren't exceeding max safe rpm.
I’ve got a tach installed. Try to keep it 4K rpm or less, highest it goes is 4300-400 rpm.

I know the engine will wear faster, and that by adjusting the governor I’m dumping more fuel in. I suspect the excess fuel is the cause of the smell, but just figured I should check to make sure there wasn’t anything else going on
Old 11-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just to note, just because you dont see smoke doesnt mean it's not smoking. The exhaust points straight down, and under the body. It would have to be smoking a LOT for you to see it. Like broken oil ring kind of a lot. Just a little smoke indicates oil consumption but gets lost easily in the wind both created from the environment, as well as the wind that's created by the aerodynamics of all the cavities and stuff of the cart.

Best way to tell is look at the spark plug. Spark plugs dont lie
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
mersh75
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Are you using a full synthetic oil? I also have a 2+2 and I use Amsoil full synthetic. I have my gov set to 21mph. With Amsoil I'm not seeing a significant loss of oil. But, as CP said, check you plugs for oil burn.
mersh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Just to note, just because you dont see smoke doesnt mean it's not smoking. The exhaust points straight down, and under the body. It would have to be smoking a LOT for you to see it. Like broken oil ring kind of a lot. Just a little smoke indicates oil consumption but gets lost easily in the wind both created from the environment, as well as the wind that's created by the aerodynamics of all the cavities and stuff of the cart.

Appreciate it and will do
Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersh75 View Post
Are you using a full synthetic oil? I also have a 2+2 and I use Amsoil full synthetic. I have my gov set to 21mph. With Amsoil I'm not seeing a significant loss of oil. But, as CP said, check you plugs for oil burn.
I’m running Mobil 1 synthetic. I’ve been debating dialing the governor back a few clicks to the 20-21mph range
Old 11-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO