lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: First Golf Car - G14

With the G14 you want to make sure your motor mounts and engine tensioner bracket are in good shape. The motor mounts often are broken or distorted and the tensioner bracket broken or just missing. All of these parts insure belt life along with proper shifting. I did not care for the factory tensioner so I fabbed up several different versions. On page 14 of my Vc 460 build you can see my current version. I found by doing it this way there is not that jump felt with limiting tension in one direction when you get off the throttle.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Ray, Interesting, what exactly is the G2-8? New parts are always a plus.. Are you saying the new style muffler is better or just making a note of it’s a replacement?

CP241, thanks brother.

Did you all get a chance to watch the video link I posted of the clutches? I assume everything is operating normally?
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

G2, G8, and G9 all preceded the G14. I believe he is saying the early G14 shares the parts with the G2 through G9. Later G14 uses different parts completely.

The clutches look like they're doing what they're supposed to. How do the sheaves look where the belt rides? They should be ruler flat. If they're wavy, they're worn and should be replaced.

Have you done a compression test? I always recommend checking compression. Not necessarily saying theres a problem, but it's a good tool to give you an idea of overall health of the motor
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The later 96 G14 used the Yamaha G16 rear end,brakes,and front suspension parts.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Very good info here, thanks for sharing! Motor mounts are worn but still intact and doing their job, I jerked them around and none are broken. I took a picture of my tensioner, I found the picture of yours also. I’m not sure how mine works.. doesn’t seem like anything moves but may need some real force. I took pics of the sheaves, again not sure what I’m looking for but they are shiny and smooth. No compression test results.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Everything there looks to be in good working order. Have Fun. P.S. That is a pic of an earlier version of the Ray tensioner.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Excellent! There are 2 open areas, one looks like it’s made for a cover. Are these supposed to be exposed?

Any idea what size or brand lift I have? I’m also going to put a pump of grease in the clutch zerk fitting for reassurance. New fuel filter and BPR2ES plug seemed to pep it up a little. I need to change the oil, really clean the carb and she should be running perfect. Manual has no mention of an oil filter... just drain and fill.

Thanks again to RAYDHD and CP241 for sharing all this info and letting me pick your brains. You guys are what makes these forums great.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

There's no oil filter, it's just a splash system. Because of that, it is important to make sure it stays full and clean. I'd always jack up the rear a little bit to drain out as much as possible, and I always felt better running synthetic but everybody has their own opinions as to what oil is best...

add 1qt ONLY. if it's overfilled, it's going to blow oil into the air box and probably will smoke and freak you out. Never add any kind of additives to the oil, because it is a splash system no good will come of it, especially if it's too thick!

Good luck and enjoy!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I really want these headlights.

I have never seen another cart with the headlights I have. Aside from measuring hole spacing and current bezels do you know if these will fit my current bezel hole size. If it’s smaller no big deal. But if it’s bigger I won’t be able to cover that up.

Just found this. This is labeled as a 1995 Yamaha G14
Old 07-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #20
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
I really want these headlights.

I have never seen another cart with the headlights I have. Aside from measuring hole spacing and current bezels do you know if these will fit my current bezel hole size. If it’s smaller no big deal. But if it’s bigger I won’t be able to cover that up.

Just found this. This is labeled as a 1995 Yamaha G14
You'd have to pull the headlight out and measure the hole in the cowl. I think I've still got the template for the ones you want...

Just so you know, the amber light comes on with the headlight, not as a parking light. That's how mine are, anyway...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha