lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
brykli21
Not Yet Wild

Default g1 blows negative fuse with key off??

Just bought a cart not long ago.tuned it up a bit,now its blowing the negative fuse.unplugged the ignitionkey switch,still blows the fuse..is this a selanoid problem???
Thanks for any help or suggestions,i might add,how do i identify this cart? I was told it was a 1982,125cc..so is it a g1 ? Or g2 ?
brykli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: g1 blows negative fuse with key off??

1982 would be a G1. Post a picture and we could identify easily, they look nothing alike.

Try unplugging the voltage regulator. Usually when the fuse blows in the older yamaha's it's because the VR has shorted internally. unplugging it will allow you to start and run the cart, but it's not going to charge the batteyr.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
brykli21
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ill try that..was going in reverse,stopped to change to forward..blew the fuse..then everytime i changed it,it would instantly blow..ill get a picture
Old 09-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
brykli21
Not Yet Wild

Its for sure a g1..just looked at pictures
Old 09-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by brykli21 View Post
Thanks ill try that..was going in reverse,stopped to change to forward..blew the fuse..then everytime i changed it,it would instantly blow..ill get a picture
I cant remember when the delay relay was added, I thought 82 but I could be wrong. if you change between forward and reverse to fast it can blow a fuse, which one I don't know. If yours has the delay relay is it hooked up? relay just behind the solenoids
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
brykli21
Not Yet Wild

Yes i think so..now it blows the fuse no matter what
Old 09-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by brykli21 View Post
I was told it was a 1982,125cc..so is it a g1
G1 will be 215cc two stroke engine.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

It's a short in the wiring somewhere, so the way I deal with mystery shorts is I disconnect one wire at a time and turn it on. Once the fuse doesn't blow, that's the circuit where the short is located. It's a pain because you will blow a ton of fuses. However, it's a quick road to finding the circuit.

Once you find the circuit you can check the resistance of the wiring to find the bad wire, or you can trace the short back to an electronic part. Be sure to look at the wires and connections very carefully. If the cart was stored in a barn, look for chewed wires from mice/rats, they love to eat wires and I have no idea why.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
brykli21
Not Yet Wild

Thats the wierd thing..had been using the heck out of it..then hopped on it,threw it in reverse,backed up,switched to forward..nothing..blown fuse..tried unhooking the delay relay..put a jumper wire around the fuse block,still sparks,made the starter click..thinking maybe a bad solenoid??
Old 09-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
It's a short in the wiring somewhere, so the way I deal with mystery shorts is I disconnect one wire at a time and turn it on. Once the fuse doesn't blow, that's the circuit where the short is located. It's a pain because you will blow a ton of fuses. However, it's a quick road to finding the circuit.

Once you find the circuit you can check the resistance of the wiring to find the bad wire, or you can trace the short back to an electronic part. Be sure to look at the wires and connections very carefully. If the cart was stored in a barn, look for chewed wires from mice/rats, they love to eat wires and I have no idea why.
It's always good to keep a couple of these on hand for that. They're cheap, work well, and drop right into most fuse holders https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...zHauSCwqnt0%3D

You can also use a standard $8 halogen headlight... you know, one of the big glass ones we used to have in our cars years ago before you replaced just the bulb. like one of the big square ones. The headlight is better than a test light because it's bright (you can see it from wherever you're working easily), and can handle a load. Run a couple wires to it with spade connectors on it to insert into the fuse holder. Disconnect a wire, plug in the headlight. If it turns on, the load is still there. hook it back up and try another wire. When you disconnect one of the wires, and the headlight is OFF then the load has been removed and you've isolated the shorted part.

If it happened suddenly, then you've got a chance that the wiring has shifted/pinched somewhere and has shorted. But I think most likely you've had a component fail and dead short. I'd start with voltage regulator, those seem to be the most common to short and blow the fuses from what I've seen
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha