lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
Stone
Gone Wild

Default 86 Marathon performance questions

Good day to all, I hope you are all safe and sane.

I haven't been around for a while but have a couple questions I'd like to kick around.

1. Izzy was running pretty poorly and I took the air intake off and sprayed the carb with Gumout and it made a world of difference. So, because of how difficult it is to reach the carb with spray, I put some Seafoam in the gas. I have noticed in the past that she does not like ANYTHING in the gas and I assume that this is due to the 128-1 oil ratio? Have you guys found anything that you can put in the gas to clean the system that doesn't cause problems?

2. My nephew and I own Izzy together and we are thinking about how to get better performance. She will go anywhere and has amazed everyone with where we can take her but she is painfully slow on long/steep hills......the RPM's never seem to increase like they should. I know part of it is the big tires. Our question is.....What is involved in a rebuild? Is it simply a ring, or ring and piston? Could timing help? And if so, what is involved in getting the timing correct?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 Marathon performance questions

I put Seafoam in every can of gas that I buy, and a little extra in every mix for my cart. That is the best stuff going.

Here's another thought... How much do you, and your nephew weigh?

This manual will answer your timing, and rebuild questions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I put Seafoam in every can of gas that I buy, and a little extra in every mix for my cart. That is the best stuff going.

Here's another thought... How much do you, and your nephew weigh?

This manual will answer your timing, and rebuild questions
Thanks for the response! Sounds like Seafoam is your Franks RedHot "I put that **** on everything"

I am working on the carb and am continuing to get improved performance. I don't think it's the weight that I am battling because she ran a little different immediately after putting the Seafoam in; it was not quite as quick to fire. I thought I would let that tank full run through and clean things and then see what happened when I went back to just high-test gas. This happened once before, a year or so ago when I put a system cleaner in her, I don't remember if it was Seafoam or not but it seemed like it just didn't like anything but gas and oil.

On another note, I noticed the frame mounts for the engine frame are worn but the picture (attached) doesn't say what they are called to help me order new ones....in the bottom right of the pic where the engine frame mounts to the cross bar, the two bushings the long bolt passes through?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (247).png (168.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Perhaps the premium gas is part of the problem, these engines are designed to run on the lower octane rating. Running premium will not enhance the performance of your engine in any way, it won't run faster, it won't have more power, it won't start easier. In fact, it can do the opposite to all of these things. Just sayin'
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Perhaps the premium gas is part of the problem, these engines are designed to run on the lower octane rating. Running premium will not enhance the performance of your engine in any way, it won't run faster, it won't have more power, it won't start easier. In fact, it can do the opposite to all of these things. Just sayin'
I may need a complete carb clean then because I noticed an improvement with premium but it must just have been coincidence.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
Stone
Gone Wild

Can anyone tell me what the highlighted bushing is in my above post?
Old 04-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
theboz001
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Those are the bushings that attach to the rear swing arm/engine cradle assembly to the front half of the cart.
theboz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz001 View Post
Those are the bushings that attach to the rear swing arm/engine cradle assembly to the front half of the cart.
That would be a little too long to enter into a parts search, do you know what they are called?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Here. https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com...earSingArmBush
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO