lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 96' G16 ignition coil help

My buddies g16 died on him that started with an intermittent no spark to now a no spark issue. I'm thinking it's the ignition coil, but am here for any other ideas. Also I've been searching the webs for a write up or video on how to change it and have had zero luck finding anything. Any help would be appreciated!
jaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 96' G16 ignition coil help

I found the best way was to pull the motor. Doesn't take that long, or you can pull the gas tank. You do need an "air gap" between the TCI and flywheel. I found a match book cover works well. PLEASE!!!! buy an OEM TCI, aftermarket ones are junk. If you need help on pulling the engine, just ask. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I found the best way was to pull the motor. Doesn't take that long, or you can pull the gas tank. You do need an "air gap" between the TCI and flywheel. I found a match book cover works well. PLEASE!!!! buy an OEM TCI, aftermarket ones are junk. If you need help on pulling the engine, just ask. Good luck
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Any tips/links/videos you can reference me would be greatly appreciated. I have a club car ds and have never messed with a Yamaha before.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:28 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Pump all the fuel out of the gas tank (makes the job so much easier). Remove gas tank. Get your short 10mm socket, extensions & a "wobbly" (flex joint, universal joint, whatever you call the thing that allows a socket to have flexibility). Only 1/4" drive rachets & sockets for this job, no 3/8" drive tools can do it. While I totally agree it would be easier to change with the engine out, I've never taken the engine out to do it. There is one bolt you are really gonna dislike. It's not hard work at all, just a little frustration on one bolt on the air shroud. You dont have to loosen motor mounts, you dont need to even Jack it up, none of that. I've done plenty over the years, they're easy to me... Do Not buy aftermarket junk, Only OEM tci, you are not saving money on that deal, trust me. (Aftermarket ones usually barely even line up on the bolt holes, cant adjust their height when the holes "just barely" even fit.

I'm just gonna tell you right now... dont try to do it with the fuel tank in the cart! Huge waste of time. Then you'll be removing the fuel tank, saying "why didnt I just take the tank out"......
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Pump all the fuel out of the gas tank (makes the job so much easier). Remove gas tank. Get your short 10mm socket, extensions & a "wobbly" (flex joint, universal joint, whatever you call the thing that allows a socket to have flexibility). Only 1/4" drive rachets & sockets for this job, no 3/8" drive tools can do it. While I totally agree it would be easier to change with the engine out, I've never taken the engine out to do it. There is one bolt you are really gonna dislike. It's not hard work at all, just a little frustration on one bolt on the air shroud. You dont have to loosen motor mounts, you dont need to even Jack it up, none of that. I've done plenty over the years, they're easy to me... Do Not buy aftermarket junk, Only OEM tci, you are not saving money on that deal, trust me. (Aftermarket ones usually barely even line up on the bolt holes, cant adjust their height when the holes "just barely" even fit.

I'm just gonna tell you right now... dont try to do it with the fuel tank in the cart! Huge waste of time. Then you'll be removing the fuel tank, saying "why didnt I just take the tank out"......
I don't reinstall this bolt.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
jaywhy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the write-up, I'll help my buddy tackle this soon! Unless Daveinva wants to road trip up to Winchester to do it for us :p
In all seriousness thanks, I couldnt find ANY info on how to replace it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha