lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
doo dah
Gone Wild

Default 2013 TXT Hard Start

I have a 13 TXT with the Kawasaki engine that is giving me some issues when starting. I've always had to choke it a little when I has been sitting for a while but recently when stopping and trying to restart nothing happens when I push the pedal. I can hear the cart trying to start, sounds like weak battery, and if I pump the throttle several times it will start up and go just fine. There is nothing I can pinpoint as a condition, pretty much happens in every situation. I have a dual battery set up pushing a very consistent 12.8v so I don't think it is related to that. Before I start chasing things down wanted to see if anyone had experienced this and could help me. Thanks!
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Post Re: 2013 TXT Hard Start

It sounds like you have a bad ground or wire/terminal connection. Or the S/G brushes may have wore out. Hope this helps!
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:01 AM   #3
CatCam
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2013 TXT Hard Start

I have the same engine on my 2013 RXV.

Pulling the choke is some sort of carb issue, maybe just needs a cleaning.

I think what you are describing is a weak start solenoid. I would replace it with a new one, BUT stay away from the cheap Ebay crap. Purchase a good 14V continuous run solenoid, EZGO part number 620962. It should be about $45-$50.
https://www.m-and-d.com/EZGO-620962.html

If this isn't the culprit it also could be the accelerator pedal molex switch.

Make sure you are getting the right switch! The 1st one I ordered was wrong and did not fit (it had pig tail on it.) I'm 95% sure the correct one was part number 612889, it does NOT have a pig tail.

Now, there are 2 other items you also need to investigate - one is the brushes on your starter generator, they are serviceable with new brushes. Pop off one of the rubber caps and check to see how deep the brush goes down. If it is worn (mine were) I pulled the starter Generator and replaced them with part number 612038. You Tube videos will show you how it's done. Not hard.
CatCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
doo dah
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies! Cart is almost 10 years old now and I have done nothing other than regular maintenance so worn brushes, solenoid, etc....are all possibilities that I will look in to. Just picked up a Predator 670 to replace the tired Kawasaki but need to keep her going until I have time to make the engine swap.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Could be solenoid but easy enough to check. Put a volt meter on the starter side when trying to start and see what that voltage is. Also I am not sure if the predator will go in that cart and work normally as the clutches are on the other side. Did you check rotation?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Could be solenoid but easy enough to check. Put a volt meter on the starter side when trying to start and see what that voltage is. Also I am not sure if the predator will go in that cart and work normally as the clutches are on the other side. Did you check rotation?
It is CCW and the Kawasaki is CW. Vegas now makes a kit to install it in the 2010+ TXTs but I'm not sure if forward is reverse and reverse is forward. Other option is to pull drivetrain from an older cart and get the clutches on the proper side, I've done a ton of research on it.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:41 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Okay. Was just trying to help but you were way ahead of me.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:11 PM   #8
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Okay. Was just trying to help but you were way ahead of me.
In speaking with Vegas everything should work normally. They said Kawasaki is CCW like the 670 and the explanation they give makes sense to me. I also looked up specs for the F400 and they list it as CCW which had me head scratching but if you look at the fan side of the engine it is moving CCW just like the Predator. Worst case is I use reverse to go forward and forward to go reverse. I have 8:1 gears already so should still give plenty speed up top.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:55 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I think there is also a kit to mount a driveshaft on the flywheel side. Don’t know much about it though.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO