lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #1
tecmo28
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 93 EZGO Marathon Gas - power issue / limp mode

Until recently, never had issues with struggling to go through sand or climb a hill. Cart runs, but when you give it gas it seems as if someone jut pulled the choke out on it. Eventually it picks up speed. Once I get to a hill, it barely makes it to the top. Where do I start? Battery is fully charged & just changed the air filter. The battery terminals need a good cleaning, but other than that, I’m clueless.
tecmo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 EZGO Marathon Gas - power issue / limp mode

the carb is plugged up you just need to cleaned out
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #3
tecmo28
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Would the carb get plugged up even if we are running non-ethanol?
Old 05-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

On old machines, carbs get plugged up any number of ways. Just age and use is number 1 cause. Improper storage is a big one, causes gasoline to turn to varnish and will coat the insides of the carb, plugging up the smallest passages. Yes ethanol can cause issues. A leaky air filter gasket. A little dirt in the fuel can get past a fuel filter. I even had a brand new fuel filter come apart and send all kinds of debris into a new carb. A carb can also wear out, it has moving parts, and if you introduce too much air from a sloppy worn butterfly shaft, it can run terribly. Also a vacuum leak from the old carb mount can cause issues. A bad vacuum hose can too. And, carbs can need some adjustment over time.

The point is, the carburetor can really have so many issues, you just have to take it apart to check it all out. Some people aren't comfortable doing that sort of work, they'll just get a new carb, I've done it.

Check all the basics:
1. Fuel - fresh, clean, good flow from pump to carb
2. Air - good clean air filter, sealed up filter housing
3. Spark - blue/white spark, use a spark tester for most accuracy
4. Compression - test compression, compare to factory spec

Most times if you have all 4, an engine will run. Running good? That's a different story.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:51 PM   #5
Roger Flay
Not Yet Wild

I agree with a compression test I had same problem, compression for a new cart 150-160psi, old cart 130-140psi checked my cart 50psi on both cylinders 1994 EZGO Medalist 295 cc Robin engine. Now I need help myself with advice for upgrading my 295 cc to 350cc, I know the wrist pin on the 350cc is in a different location because the crankshaft is the main difference on the two engines anything else to look out for besides I may have to skim the deck.
Roger Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:53 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I would check the clutches are operating correctly under load first before pulling the carb! If the driven spring is weak or broken or the drive is stuck closed, it will be like trying to drive up hill in top gear. If all is good here then I would move on to check the carb amongst other things
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm with Cartmaster...clutches. It is upshifting and not downshifting. It is probably the original 1993 clutch. Take a straight edge and lay it against the face of the driven clutch, I bet there is a groove.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:37 AM   #8
tecmo28
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the advice! Will give it a look & give feedback soon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO