lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
ptcruisercart
Not Yet Wild

Default warning light flashing

I have a 1997 clubcar 48volt when i bought it the warning light did not work , I bought a new one and installed it but it flashes with the key in the off position, also the if i leave the car in reverse with the key off the reverse buzzer goes off after a few minutes but at about half volume I have tried rebooting the computer as described on this forum but same problem. the drives normal with no problems. the battery charger does not shut off after the prescribed time period
ptcruisercart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: warning light flashing

To me, all indications are you have a bad OBC .... lets see if anybody agrees
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisercart View Post
I have a 1997 clubcar 48volt when i bought it the warning light did not work , I bought a new one and installed it but it flashes with the key in the off position, also the if i leave the car in reverse with the key off the reverse buzzer goes off after a few minutes but at about half volume I have tried rebooting the computer as described on this forum but same problem. the drives normal with no problems. the battery charger does not shut off after the prescribed time period
The warning light will operate no matter what position the keyswitch is in. It can mean one of many things.

Low voltage (Re-Charge battery pack and let charger finish, do not interrupt)

High voltage (more common with new batteries with slightly higher voltage, light should go off after a short distance)

Charger Interrupt (such as unplugging the cord before the charger completes the cycle)

AC Interrupt (Power outage or charger malfunction during charge cycle)

Here's what you need to do... You should have a beige colored On-Board computer on the vehicle. This computer is designed to calibrate itself withing ten seconds of the charger being plugged in to the vehicle. By this, I mean that the charger should turn on within 2-10 seconds of being inserted. Within another 10 seconds it should turn off, and back on... This is the calibration cycle. If the charger does not calibrate, you've got a bad on-board computer. Also, pay close attention to what your charger does when you plug it into the car. If it immediately turns on when inserted into the vehicle you've either got a charger relay that is stuck in the on position, or the on-board computer is stuck in charge mode. When this happens, it must be replaced because it will NEVER turn off the charger, and will eventually cook your batteries. As for the buzzer.. it's hard to diagnose that problem without knowing more about the cart... is it a series car, or a regen car?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

One more thing.... If everything looks good with the charger calibration and you've still got issues with the charger not turning off, I'd look towards the batteries at that time. They've got to reach a voltage of 58.6 or more during the charge cycle before the charger will even consider turning off. If you've got one or more bad batteries this voltage will not be reached and the car will never "FULLY" charge.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
ptcruisercart
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply David, I plugged the charger into the wall and the charger turned on about 10 seconds after I plugged the charger into the cart, but the charger did not calibrate it just stayed on. so I guess its safe to say the obc is bad?
also I checked the voltage of each battery individually and they check out at 8.2-8.5 each. I dont have a 48volt test meter also what is a series or regen car?
ptcruisercart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
wilster734
IDK&YDE

Club Car

basically he is asking if you have a tow/run switch on the cart or not.or you can look at your motor and see if there is a set of wires and a plug coming off the end of the motor.which means it is regen/noplugseries.
wilster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilster734 View Post
basically he is asking if you have a tow/run switch on the cart or not.or you can look at your motor and see if there is a set of wires and a plug coming off the end of the motor.which means it is regen/noplugseries.
Wilster, that's true but not true at the same time... The early regen cars 1995-1997 did not have a tow run switch, but instead operated by the key switch.... the OFF position served as TOW.....

ptcruisercart,
Do you have a shift lever? or a shift toggle switch?

or

Do you have Blue Writing on the Tag on the motor... or Red writing on the tag on the motor?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisercart View Post
thanks for the reply David, I plugged the charger into the wall and the charger turned on about 10 seconds after I plugged the charger into the cart, but the charger did not calibrate it just stayed on. so I guess its safe to say the obc is bad?
also I checked the voltage of each battery individually and they check out at 8.2-8.5 each. I dont have a 48volt test meter also what is a series or regen car?
Drive the car for a few minutes and retry it.... A car sometimes will not calibrate if you try to plug it in again immediately after you've charged it... You've got to drive it in between charges or the calibration cycle may not take place... Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.... the OBC has a mind of it's own.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

I say the OBC is bad replace, The light you replaced was it red or orange?
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
sciroccojim
Not Yet Wild

I have a similar problem to this one. Cart runs fine. Had dead batteries, which were just replaced.

The charger does not turn on when plugged in. After unplugging the charger, the battery light flashes the following sequence:

One for 18
Off for 5
On for 4
Off for 5
Repeat

I tried resetting the OBC per the sticky but no luck.

Car is a 98 DS, non regen.

Thanks.
sciroccojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car