lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
tnyturner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Power Wise charger making loud buzzing sound!

I am new to this forum and it looks like a great resource. Thanks in advance for all the valuable information.

I have a 2003 PDS. Charger has been working great for several years. I cleaned out my garage and re-located the charger. Now, whenever I plug in my cart, the charger buzzes really loud and the meter is only registering about 6-7 amps.
tnyturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Power Wise charger making loud buzzing sound!

The buzzing sound can be caused by several things, one is too light a wiring from home 120 volt power ( Extension cords are taboo as most are 16-20 guage and charger requires full 20 amp circuit with 12 guage wiring as minimum) OR in most cases the buzz is caused by transformer noise which can be caused by some thing loose in mounting or in windings and normally isnt anything to worry about. One other possible buzz sound maker could possibly be the relay inside charger that closes when connection is made between charger and OBC, I have see one do that and still allow charger to operate ( normally either works or wont work ) and solved problem by cleaning contacts inside charge receptical on cart and charger receptical plug in end.
The low meter amp readings normally are caused by poor connections at batterys or charge receptical, OR weak batterys themselves, or OBC problems?
About the low charging rate does this happen when you first plug charger in or does it hold this charge rate for long periods of time or not shut off on its own at all? If so I would recomend testing batterys with either a digital volt meter or better yet a single float temperature correcting scale hydrometer ( NOT A MULTI FLOAT ANTIFREEZE TESTER ) and post reading so forum can see condition of batterys. You might want to refer to STICKIES under "State Of Charge Readings"
Hope this gives you some help?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
tnyturner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the information. I will gather some more information.

Also, I mistakenly posted this thread in the ClubCar section instead of EZGo.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just goes to show that when you get old you read something and dont absorb all info given? I read your post as 2003 "DS" instead of "PDS"?? Well in that case the info on OBC and circuits does not apply, but all other should still apply to a EZGO cart charger?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
tnyturner
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I located the source of my problem and ordered a replacement part. The tab on the right diode of the diode assembly was broken and no longer connected to the diode assembly. I connected the charger to the cart and touched the tab back to the diode assembly and the buzzing stopped. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you were able to find problem.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
bertroga
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Old Mec. I fixed my ezgo golf cart chargers buzzing thanks to you. It was the contact points on the charger golf cart plug, which I cleaned as you recommended. Works quietly now. Many Many thanks.
bertroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car