lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Combine cables (#4 & #6 gauge) for even better results????

Hey guys. Ok……This maybe a VERY stupid question to some of the experts but I am learning and in NO WAY an electrician. I am a firefighter and I am thinking in ways of friction loss (FL). We calculate FL in the fire hose due to the extreme pressures and distances we may have to pump. The fire hose (of course) carries water and meets different levels of resistance depending on the size of the hose and how many there are……..

I was told that the electrical wires work the same way. The more power/current demand the motor/controller are using, the more power/current there is flowing through the electrical wires. That is why larger electrical wire upgrades are needed, to efficiently supply the power demand without overheating.

Now…….I am upgrading to a #4 gauge wire kit for my cart. My question is…….Can I leave the #6 gauge wires on, along WITH the #4 gauge wires, and it not only be safe, but even more efficient???????? In my head it sounds like a good plan but I have not found any info on it. I know the power will follow the path of least resistance, which is the #4 gauge, but some may also flow through the #6 gauge. A bucket of water that has a 3” hole and a 1” hole will still have water come out both, more water obviously out the 3”.

I know this was a long post but any advice/experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!
firemedic898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Combine cables (#4 & #6 gauge) for even better results????

It is a lot like hoses and it will work as you thought but there will be way to many connections to be really efficient and a PITA.
IMO, if you are not getting adequate current flow with 4ga upgrade to 2ga.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, but I haven’t upgraded yet. 4 gauge should be fine with my future system, I just thought if 4 gauge wires are good…….4+6 gauge wires are better!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You should be fine with 4ga for anything but extreme power requirements.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I have seen carts come in for service with both 4 & 6 ga on them and I have also seen them with 2 sets of 4ga.

I noticed no differ in either cart over just using 4ga. Now both were lifted with 22" tires. Both had stock controller and stock motor. I dont think it would hurt, but like stated thats just another connection that you have to keep clean and tight. Its more chance for corrosion to occur.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic898 View Post
Thanks, but I haven’t upgraded yet. 4 gauge should be fine with my future system, I just thought if 4 gauge wires are good…….4+6 gauge wires are better!
You are correct, however, you will be double lugging your wires (2 lug under the nut) and this adds fault points in your system when and if they get lose. Also you may not be able to get them on some of the lugs like the F&R switch. Aesthetically, it will look bad. Lastly, if you want more current handling, 1 #2 will out perform 1 #4 + 1 #6. In your pipe/hose comparison, each increase in pipe size is about double the flow.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Wizardket, you are correct on the hose comparison. A 5” diameter hose will flow a lot (forgot the exact amount) more water than 2-3” hoses, that is technically 6” of total diameter. I’m not that worried about #4 gauge being too small for my system. I just thought I will have a set of #6 gauge lying around, might as well put them to use. But it sounds like it may just add more potential problems. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My set are on the garage floor now and will find their way to the trash. I have gone to #4, 480Amp controller on the stock 36v series motor and soon to 48v.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

wiz, that is what i have. 480logi, 4 ga. hd fnr, hd sol. 36 motor and 48volts.

not super fast, pulls the hills nicely. 20.8 gps
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In review firemedic898 plans on building his cart 36v first and maybe 48v later...
Here's what we know about the build.
D&D speed motor
650 amp Alltrax
400a Solenoid
Ultra Cool HD Switch Cam & Fresh Lugs
Bigger tires than stock ;
36v now and 48v later.
This cart definitely needs #2 gauge welder's cables, not #4.
Alltrax recommends it over 500a. and that big motor is suck up the amps...
All the cables should be the same size. When that system dumps 4-500 amps to the motor every cable in the cart is going to be used (except those reserved for a direction change) if there is a smaller cable somewhere the flow will bottleneck and the result will be diminished performance and heat ... which = loss of amperage

Later on when it is 48v You really won't have to change anything if wired to keep the solenoid activation at 36v.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO