lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #21
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: another problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankowe View Post
any idea of the part number for the diode i need for that 400 amp solenoid, i better just get a new one. i that resistor that came with the 400amp solenoid rated for 48v, or should i also just get a new resistor??? thanks again for the help scotty.

one other thing, diode showing continuity both ways??? wouldn't that damage solenoid and controller???? i'm grounding the red leads to both right??? could this diode be the cause of all my recent issues???
An open diode, one that shows no continuity in either direction, would not pose any problems in the short term....The system will work without the diode installed at all. It's there to prevent what's called reverse emf. I don't want to get into it in this post but it's a non-issue.

A shorted diode could damage the controller but not the Solenoid.

P.S. The diode (rectifier) is available at RS under the part number 1N4003 (Catalog #: 276-1102) or IN4004 (Catalog #: 276-1103 ).

Either would be fine but RS doesn't have the eylet terminals crimped on the end....

Last edited by todo_brane_ded; 05-15-2011 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: part number for diode
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I was gonna suggest taking it off for the moment... Good point on the controller. It did have a mysterious failure recently... repaired now but, we do not know what caused the problem or what exactly the damage was?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

OKAY!

I just got off the phone with an engineer of electronic speed controls. I have a better understanding of what may have happened.

The 2 things we know for sure was the diode is open both directions and the peddle micro is melted.

The diode failed open. Left to it's own little job, the chances of this are one in millions. It could fail if back fed by stereo or lighting circuit somehow... sorry for the somehow but, I do not know how, I was told this is a probable cause.

When the diode fails open it becomes a direct connection.
In this case it becomes a short between the pos and neg activation terminals. Remember, the cart is running down the road when this happens, the the peddle micro gets hit with a short and melts down cutting the solenoid activation circuit. The cart would have glided to a stop like the key was shut off.

Was the Controller damaged? The engineer did not think so. I will inquire with the repair crew.
I hope this helps others as it has helped me
Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
OKAY!

I just got off the phone with an engineer of electronic speed controls. I have a better understanding of what may have happened.

The 2 things we know for sure was the diode is open both directions and the peddle micro is melted.

The diode failed open. Left to it's own little job, the chances of this are one in millions. It could fail if back fed by stereo or lighting circuit somehow... sorry for the somehow but, I do not know how, I was told this is a probable cause.

When the diode fails open it becomes a direct connection.
In this case it becomes a short between the pos and neg activation terminals. Remember, the cart is running down the road when this happens, the the peddle micro gets hit with a short and melts down cutting the solenoid activation circuit. The cart would have glided to a stop like the key was shut off.

Was the Controller damaged? The engineer did not think so. I will inquire with the repair crew.
I hope this helps others as it has helped me
Umm, Scottyb, when a diode fails open it causes NO damage..

It's when it fails shorted that it possibly causes damage and sometimes as a result of the high current it draws as a result of being defective when it's shorted it will then open sort'a like a fuse.....

I think you just used the wrong word in the sentence emphasized above...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Maybe we all meant failed closed? because it did become a short and no it didn't burn because the weaker link down the line failed first.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #26
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Maybe we all meant failed closed? because it did become a short and no it didn't burn because the weaker link down the line failed first.
Yeah, you mean the micro switch.....Not to be anal about this but diodes/rectifiers fail either shorted or open and as I mentioned before sometimes first shorted, then open...not closed.

But I'm sure everyone gets the idea.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO