lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #21
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Default Re: 99 Club Car Not Charging

A bit sensitive are we today.........

Don't want to start a war ..but i think Gaminde is correct in his testing mode..

I have been fixing golf carts in a camp gound for a while now with lots of charging problems. Most of the time it turns out to be the diodes or diode bridge in the club car charger.....

the way the charger works in Basic basic talk....... the so called LOW VOLTAGE SENSOR is nothing more than a spst relay that responds to 48 volts.
( sells for about $30 from cart suppliers and $3.95 from Jamico )

a battery produces 13.5 volts when fully charges and 4 batteries =54 volts.
at slight discharge of 12 volts each you still have 48 volts enough to activate the 48 volt relay in the charger..but as the batteries deplete and go down to 10.5 volts that equals only a total of 42 volts and not enough for a 48 volt relay .

it is then necessary to open the charge and jump together the 2 terminals on the charger relay ( one from the 110v plug and the other that goes directly to the transformia.) .....this turns on the charger with out the golf carts help and continues to charge forever...

so you charge for about 4-6 hours.....
your charger AMP METER should indicate 6- 15 amps charge rate.
( shut off charger every 2 hours and measure battery voltage) ..when you get 48 volts put the circuit back the way it was and see if your charger works.

with the charger pluged into the golf cart .....
leaving the charge cover off measure the voltage on the 2 other terminals of the relay ( these are the coil terminals ) see if you have 48 volts there.

if 48 present but no charge you have a bad relay (voltage sensor)
if no voltage present the OBC or fuse circuit is the answer..but before i would JUMP to replace the obc (on board computor) i would FOLLOW GAMINDE's above post and check the output of the OBC as he describes in the above post....

it the culprit points to the OBC ...first i would go thru the reset procedure
shown in the STICKY NOTES....

the last resort is to replace the OBC
but what do i know..i'm only the 500 lb gorella in the room
THE PHOTO IS THE RELAY IN THE CHARGER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay -low voltage sensor.jpg (2.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by ForBruce; 06-28-2011 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: added description of photo
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m not gonna debate this ........no i never get sensitive....i just don,t don,t see it that way i have had to change exactly 4 charger diodes and 0 relays in 9 years.......now replacing a person,s OBC isn,t gonna do anything for a bad charger diode or relay is it?.....because than that means i must be god if i can put one in OBC ) and everything works perfect.....,gaminde by the way your right on the grey wire test....one question how many times and on how many different year carts have you done this test??? when you have done as many as i have over the years i think your answer may be the same.... no not really...... think about what that means........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #23
HOBIE01
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks to all for your help. After much cussing, and complaining I tried everyones tip and charger still didnt work. Finally, after finding the electric wiring diagram on bgw i traced every wire and found the red wire from charger receptacle to positive battery was missing or torn off from my kids riding. Replaced wire and oh hell yeah, it works again.

Thanks again.
HOBIE01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBIE01 View Post
thanks to all for your help. After much cussing, and complaining I tried everyones tip and charger still didnt work. Finally, after finding the electric wiring diagram on bgw i traced every wire and found the red wire from charger receptacle to positive battery was missing or torn off from my kids riding. Replaced wire and oh hell yeah, it works again.

Thanks again.
....whoa thats a new one......have heard of people putting it on the wrong battery but never it missing.......you did use 10 gage wire right?...........................
Old 06-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #25
HOBIE01
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Okay, here I go again. My cart worked for about 1 day.It worked great too. Now, it will click and budge forward and budge backward but no movement. The charger will come on for about 45 minutes then stop but I am measuring around 54 volts, so I dont think it is a low voltage problem. Ideas?
HOBIE01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #26
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

can you put a load test on batteries?................................
Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #27
JeffAVEWS
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just a few words about that relay, it's a Interlock/Safety relay. It's get's energized by the Battery Pack on the golf cart and it keeps power off the primary windings of the transformer until the DC plug is connected (the click you hear) . This prevents any chance of shock from the DC plug when the charger is not hooked up to the cart. The down side is that if the Battery Pack voltage is too low, or the OBC is faulty, your charger will not turn on. You guys have already written on how to jumper past the relay. I did this and got 60VDC on the charger plug, so my problem is on the cart.
JeffAVEWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging problem, charging system q's, club car 1999, voltage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car