lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS questions - (Theoretical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
you could build a divide by 2 circuit for like $1 using a CD4013 and a few caps. if you have a scope, i would do that first. what multi-meter do you have? some have a duty cycle function!
I've been playing with flip-flops since they were called Eccles-Jordan Multivibrators and made with 12AX7's.

I'd probably toss in a voltage regulator and a couple buffers to keep it isolated also, but I only want to reduce the number of pulses by 25% rather than 50%.

Having worked in electronics over 50 years, I have a modest collection of test equipment, but my favorite DMM (a 4-1/2 digit Fluke with Min/Max, Freq and duty cycle) apparently followed a HVAC guy home last summer.
I picked up a throw-away at Wally-World to work on my cart, but it's very basic.
Since I'm retired and no longer need the really good stuff and I'm looking at some of the Extech offerings to replace the Fluke.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you eBay look for a used Fluke. I just picked up a 117 delivered for $70. I have to have about 3 working meters and the cheap ones crap out at the worst possible time. Like when you only take one on a service call
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you eBay look for a used Fluke. I just picked up a 117 delivered for $70. I have to have about 3 working meters and the cheap ones crap out at the worst possible time. Like when you only take one on a service call
$70 is a good price for a 117.
And having spent a few years in field service, I know the frustration felt when you don't have the tools or test equipment needed and the even greater frustration of having what you need, but it not working.

I won't mention any names, but not too long ago, a wise man posted here that there has been great improvements in DMM's in the past 15-20 years.
I also believe that to be true. Fluke is the best, or at least one of the frontrunners, but the gap between the best and worst has narrowed considerably and the fair-to-middlin' offerings of some of the secondary brands is now equal to or better than the best the top rated brands had to offer only a few years ago.

An old friend that calibrates test equipment (PMEL) clued me in on the Extech line of test equipment. Basically, their mid-grade and top-line stuff is on par with Fluke at half the price or less.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO