lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lestronic II charger problem.

Hi all! I just picked up a Lestronic II from a yard sale. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $5! I took off the cover and cleaned out the interior with a blowgun, and everything looked pretty decent. I went to try it on my cart and as soon as I plugged the DC plug in, I got a severe arc! I didn't even get a plug in, as I jerked the plug right back out quite fast! Does anyone know of a usual cause of this? I did make sure the polarity is correct, even though the plug is the right one. I looked through some troubleshooting data, and it really didn't say anything about this particular problem. I haven't as yet plugged in the power cord. I have a feeling this may be a bad diode. Am I close? Thanks guys!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lestronic II charger problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
I went to try it on my cart and as soon as I plugged the DC plug in, I got a severe arc! Does anyone know of a usual cause of this?
Electricity flowing to the incorrect location........

As to why...not a clue but I just had to add......
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
Electricity flowing to the incorrect location........

As to why...not a clue but I just had to add......
That seems to happen to all of us at one time or another!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Could be several reasons for the spitzen und sparkin!
Miss-wired and /or shorted diode(s) come to mind.

Attached are some Lester manuals. Different models, but the chargers are all pretty much the same, basically.
Checkout all three. Good generic info in all of them.

If the transformer is good, everything else is replaceable and you got a very good deal.
If transformer is bad, hope you've got a boat because you've got a $5 anchor for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lestronic II - troubleshootingguide-1.pdf (62.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Lester Charger 35827_A1.pdf (1.59 MB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Lester-19300 - Charger manual.pdf (199.5 KB, 7 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Could be several reasons for the spitzen und sparkin!
Miss-wired and /or shorted diode(s) come to mind.

Attached are some Lester manuals. Different models, but the chargers are all pretty much the same, basically.
Checkout all three. Good generic info in all of them.

If the transformer is good, everything else is replaceable and you got a very good deal.
If transformer is bad, hope you've got a boat because you've got a $5 anchor for it.
Thanks for the links! I did read one, I'll get to the others in a bit. Everything inside looks decent! Nothing burned or any burned odor. If a diode is shorted, is this visible or should I do the meter tests on everything? I didn't lose a cent on this because I found out the copper and aluminum is worth way more than the $5! I would like to fix it if I can, though!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Thanks for the links! I did read one, I'll get to the others in a bit. Everything inside looks decent! Nothing burned or any burned odor. If a diode is shorted, is this visible or should I do the meter tests on everything? I didn't lose a cent on this because I found out the copper and aluminum is worth way more than the $5! I would like to fix it if I can, though!
Download them all, they are handy references.
IIRC, there are three or four different schematics in them, so you'll have to figure out which one is closest to what you've got, but they're all pretty much the same basic design.
Of course, what is basic to me may be complex to others since I've been reading schematics and wiring diagrams for 50+ years.

Perfectly good looking Diodes can be bad. Your Ohmeter is your friend in T'shooting a charger.

Since you got an arc when you plugged charger into cart without it being plugged into AC power, I check the output wiring first.
The heavy black wire typically attaches to B- in the cart, should attach to the ammeter inside the charger.
The heavy white typically attaches to the cathodes of the diodes, or the heatsink they are mounted on.
(Or it might be red .... Only black is identified as Negative, positive might be any color... AND who know what someone else might have used in prior repairs. Always check a wire's source and destinations rather than wire colors)

Then I'd check the diodes. If either is bad, replace both.

Yell if you need more help.
Let us know what you find.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks again " JohnnieB "! I'm a bit under the weather today so I'll go through all the PDF files you posted. They will definitely help! I think it is the diodes, but we'll see. I did notice, when I had the cover off, that the white lead was the + lead on the plug. There are several tests for the components so it would make sense for me to do all of them, even if it is the diodes that are bad!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Want to thank you again " JohnnieB " for the help and the links to the schematics! When I said that the white wire was connected to the + on the plug, it would have been nice if it was also connected that way inside the charger! I checked the diodes - OK - , the capacitor - OK - , I figured if the transformer was bad oh well! Put her all back together, plugged in the DC plug - - - - - no arc, no nothing, Cool! Unhooked the DC plug, plugged in the power plug and then plugged back in the DC plug. 5 seconds later, click and the ammeter showed 10A. Definitely Cool. My batteries were charged 2 days ago and I haven't used the cart since, so I didn't expect a very high current flow. It seems to be working fine! I'm monitoring the charge now and I want to see at what voltage it turns off at. I also noticed that it will not turn on the relay unless the power cord is connected. Probably a good thing! Well, it looks like I've got a good $5 charger thanks to your help!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Nice score.

Glad I could help.
John
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

John, I've meant to ask you before and just forgot, what is your avatar a photo of? It looks very Cool! Oh, by the way, you asked me if my kitty was Photoshopped and I found out, yes he was. He isn't, but the water is!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO