lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
RGO
Not Yet Wild

Default pds cart charger will not active when plugged in

just purchased my third pds cart and when I plug in the charger it will not active. I have used chargers from my other carts and they will not work either. What actually tells the chager to come on when you plug it it in.

Thanks for any help.
RGO
RGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: pds cart charger will not active when plugged in

The charger has to sense the battery voltage and for a 36V system, the voltage has to be above about 28V.

It depends on which chargers you have, but typically the charger senses the battery via the Auxiliary contact in the charger plug and the outside of the Negative radsok in the cart's charger receptacle.

Does your latest charger work on your other PDS carts?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
RGO
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Johnnie B,
Actually I did not get a charger with this cart, but I had three already. I think you answered my question though I am not getting but about 24 volts out of the batteries right now. I am charging them individually now to see if they come up. Could you tell me where the red wire from the back of the plug in on the cart goes to and does it have anything to do with letting the charger come on? I know it gets into a harness and goes toward the front.

Thanks again
RGO
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The red wire from the Cart's charger receptacle goes to the infamous Reed Switch and has absolutely nothing to do with battery charging other than disabling the cart so it cannot be driven away when charger plug is inserted into receptacle. (There is a magnet in charger's plug that opens Reed Switch - That is what you hear rattling when you shake the plug.)

Here is a picture of the receptacle with the top off. The red wire picks up B+ from the positive radsok (Wite wire attached) and feeds the carts ignition (Solenoid activation) circuit.
The silver colored contact in the charger's charging plug touches the outside of the negative radsok (Black wire attached).

When you get the battery pack up to about 28-30V, you should be able to hear relay in charger click whether charger is plugged into AC power or not. There will be a 3-5 second delay between plugging into cart and relay clicking.

Also, as low as those batteries were discharged, the back-up timer might shut the charger off before the sensed voltage gets high enough to automatically shutoff charger, so when the charger shuts down, restart the charge cycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle with top off.jpg (71.7 KB, 4 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
RGO
Not Yet Wild

OK, after the batteries got above 30 volts everything seems to be doing what it suppose to be doing. Thanks for your help. I continue to be amazed what I have learned from this forum.

Thanks again

RGO
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I continue to be amazed what mass amounts of money I have spent because of this forum

BGW ROCKS
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO