lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default Re: Small gap with spindle causing clunking noise after installing Jake's lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHusker View Post
Can you post up a pic?
I will try to get a video up to show what it is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGreco View Post
Original drop axle did the same clunking noise prior to the wreck. I do believe it is a small tolerance issue with the drop axle.
Do you know if it is happening on the same side? Or possibly both sides? Mine is on the passenger side only. Driver side works perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowslayer View Post
It's not just the Jake's lift, the Allsports has the same problem.
Great. I don't want to replace this front axle just because of some annoying clunking but I have put a lot of time and money into building this cart and I absolutely hate the fact this clunking is so noticeable when traveling through the quiet woods.

I wish I could get my hands on a Strech long travel kit in black.
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default Re: Small gap with spindle causing clunking noise after installing Jake's lift.

I got a chance to get in and get everything apart with the understanding I wasn't putting it back together without fixing it this time. Basically on my passenger side the difference between the spindle tube and the spindle is much more than on my driver side. This is allowing the spindle to move up and down enough for it to make noise as it hits the top and bottom of the axle spindle mount. I tried my local Ace again but they really didn't have what I needed. Will be making a trip to the Fastenal store tomorrow.

Basically my plan is to replace the stock washer with one that is slightly thicker or use two thinner washers and some arbor shims to really take a bite out of that gap. I won't have to fill the entire gap, just enough so it isn't allowed to travel up and down enough to make noise.

So in short, I don't believe it's a Jake's lift issue as the spindle tube fits in nice and snug but rather something to do with the spindles themselves. Maybe there's a rebuild kit or something that I am missing.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Anxious to hear how you make out, I believe it is my passenger side that is making the noise on my cart also.
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Shim the King-Pins below the spindle,that way it will ride on the shim.If you can find them,get an Oilite/Bronze Oil-Impregnated Washer.You want to shim it tight,but only tight enough to just feel drag when moving the spindle.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
TGJR
Gone Wild

** FIXED **

As mentioned before, somehow the spindle tube ended up being quite a bit longer than the spindle itself. This was allowing the spindle to ride up and down the tube enough to cause a clunking noise when going over less-than-smooth terrain as it hit the top and bottom of the spindle mount on the axle.

I broke out the digital caliper and figured out how much distance I had to make up to take enough of the gap away so it no longer had enough room to travel to make the clunking. Turns out, a 14 gauge and an 18 gauge 1" I.D., 1.5" O.D. washer was the perfect combination to replace the stock spindle washer. Two 18 gauge washers were the exact thickness of the stock washer. So dropping one of them down to the 14 gauge gave that extra thickness needed to take away enough of the gap. Now it no longer clunks when I pull up the front end by the brush guard or when it is riding over rough terrain.

Hopefully this helps anyone else having the same issue. The combination of the 18 and 14 gauge washers might not work for everyone. So you'll have to get in with a feeler gauge and see how much of a gap you have and go from there.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Congrats, glad to hear you got it fixed.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #27
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

TGJR, thanks for the follow up post and glad to hear you got things fixed. Where did you end up getting your washers? Don't think my local farm store has that much of a selection to choose from.
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #28
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGreco View Post
TGJR, thanks for the follow up post and glad to hear you got things fixed. Where did you end up getting your washers? Don't think my local farm store has that much of a selection to choose from.
I found them at the local Ace Hardware store that has a large selection. You can order them from numerous websites like Fastenal. Just use a feeler gauge to see how big your gap is and then order a size slightly thinner. You don't want to fill up the entire gap because you still want the spindle tube to be slightly longer so the spindle can rotate freely. They're not really "washers" but actually called machinery bushings. And you need them with a 1" inside diameter and 1.5" outside diameter.

I might still order a single bushing that is the exact thickness I need instead of using the two bushings. But it's working perfect now so I might just adhere to the "if it ain't broke..." rule. I still would like to figure out exactly why I had this problem and if there is some sort of rebuild parts from EZGO that would fix it or if my spindle had just worn past the point of no return without a little ingenuity.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Hardkor
Getting Wild

Having this exact issue now. Was wondering if I was missing a bushing or not. Going to get some bushings for the fix.

Tapatalked
Hardkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #30
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Machine washers available most farm equipment dealers or hardware stores some have a lot better selection than others. If you want a more precise size or thickness look for thrust washers, cost more but they are better quality which is overkill on the kingpin because tolerances don't have to be that precise.
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO