lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
stormin12
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Solenoid clicks, cart still won't go

I am new to internet forums as well as to golf carts. I have been following the thread "Cart clicks but wont go?", as I seemed to have an identical problem with a nearly identical cart (mine is a 97 EZ-GO Textron 36V). After following the various diagnositics others have provided, I was getting the same results until I tested the controller. Here is a quick summary of my issue:

When I press the throttle, the solenoid clicks, but the cart does not go. The batteries are fully charged, and they each read approx. 6V. When testing the solenoid, after the throttle is pressed, I read the full 36V. When I test the controller using the B- and M- terminals, I read about 29V prior to pressing in the throttle. Once the throttle is pressed, I read 36V. If I slowly press the throttle to the floor, the voltage does not decrease. Any help would surely be appreciated.

As a side note, the cart worked great until "someone" decided to use the throttle as a brake. The cart was stopped on a hill and instead of engaging the brake, the throttle was pressed in just enough to keep the cart from rolling backwards, but not enough to move it forward. After several seconds, there was a pop, the cart jerked forward, and then stopped. I have not been able to get the cart to go since.
stormin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
stormin12
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid clicks, cart still won't go

I have continued trying to search for possible issues, and I think I have some directions to go based on what I have seen in other threads and read in the repair manual. However, if anyone has some ideas on where to start, that would be great.

Since the voltage between the B- and M- terminals is only reading about 29V, but when the solenoid clicks, it jumps to 38.2V, it sounds like the resistor is bad. Is the resistor part of the controller on this cart, and if so, does that mean I need to replace the entire controller? Also, is it possible that the microswitch is bad, and how could I test that? The microswitch does click when the solelnoid clicks (which according to shopezgo.com might mean the microswitch may still be good??). I am tempted to just throw in a new controller, but I would hate to spend so much and then have the cart still not working.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A customer had a problem like this that was in a series cart and it was a burnt up motor.

A quick test for the motor is tag and disconnect the wires (use 2 wrenches on motor studs to prevent spinning) and check for unwanted continuity between any S(F) terminal and any A terminal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
stormin12
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry for the dumb question, but by "unwanted continuity" are you meaning any continuity?
Old 10-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You should have continuity between any two S or A or F terminals in a motor but not between any of those pairs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
stormin12
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I will give it a try and post the results.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
stormin12
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I had my brother come over and give me a hand with testing much of the electrical system again (he understands it much better than I do). The motor seems to be fine, and it doesn't seem like any power is making it to the motor. We tested the power prior to going through the solenoid, and it was 38V (makes sense). We tested the power coming from the solenoid and it read 29V until the throttle was pressed to activate the solenoid, the power then went up to 38V (not sure if that makes sense), but these are the same readings that we get by testing the B- and M- terminals on the controller. Anymore ideas would be greatly appreciated. We inspected all of the cables, and they all appear to be in good condition.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The voltage you get before the solenoid clicks is due to the 250 Ohm resistor across the solenoid contacts. It should be 3-5 volts less than the full battery pack voltage, and yours is about 9V, but that doesn't point to a specific problem and more troubleshooting is needed.

Having full battery pack voltage between B- and M- when solenoid first clicks means the high current loop is complete (good sign), but the voltage not dropping to zero when pedal is pushed to floor means that:
a. The ITS (Inductive Throttle System) is bad.
b. The motor is bad.
c. The controller is bad.

To test ITS:
Leave negative DVM test lead attached to B-.
Touch positive DVM test lead to Controller Pin-2 (Black) while plug is attached to controller.
Voltage should be between 14V and 16V.
If not controller may be bad.

If voltage at Pin-2 is withing specs, touch positive test lead to Pin-1 (White wire).
When the solenoid first clicks, the voltage should be 0.45V to 0.53V.
Push pedal slowly to floor and voltage should smoothly increase to 1.5V or above.

To check motor for desired and undesired continuity:
Carefully remove all 4 cables. (Use second wrench on lower nut to prevent stud from turning)
Using an Ohmmeter, measure between A1 & A2.
Should be only a few Ohms.
Using an Ohmmeter, measure between S1 & S2. (Might be marked F1 & F2 if you has a DCS cart)
Should be only a few Ohms.

Then measure between A studs and the S studs
Should be very high ohms ( a Meg-ohm or more is preferred)
Then measure between motor case and the A studs and the S studs
Should also be very high ohms ( a Meg-ohm or more is preferred)

If both the ITS and motor pass the above test and check, the controller is probably bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
stormin12
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Wow, thanks! That gives me several more things to check. I was getting worried that I was running out! You guys have been very helpful. As before, I will post the results after I am able to run the additional tests.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To test the motor: This is from my previous post
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...but-no-go.html

Jack the rear of the cart up...........unhook all 4 wires to the motor.
Put a jumper between S1 and A2
Put a long cable on A1
Put a long cable on S2
Take a 12 volt battery..........hook the cable from A1 to + post on 12 volt battery
hook the cable from S2 to - post on 12 volt battery, wheels should turn if brakes are not dragging..........if motor doesn't turn, then yes something is wrong with the motor..........if motor turns, then you have other problems.

Good luck
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO