lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default tail light change

Hello , I am new here and new at fixing and tweeking golf carts.... I have a 1989 EZGO PC4X two seater that I am going through and fixing . My question is " Can I pick a pair of taillights that I like and install them using the existing power that is there ? " Not sure but the ones I was looking at said 12 volt , I have a 36 volt system .... are all lights 12 volt for a golf cart ? Thanks for any help.......
Damaged1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: tail light change

Most sets will be 12 volts. Your 36 volt cart has 6 6 volts. Pick two in the series and use them to power your 12 volt lights. If you are considering using the existing power, trace it back to the batteries and see what is powering them first.
Taykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Very cool ....Thank you , I'll do it !
Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Welcome Damaged1!

Yup! Pretty much all 12v lights. Taykol is correct. Find out what is supplying those wires before hooking them up to new lights.

Gool Luck
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

When picking out new lights something to consider is the grounding. I have read here numerous times not to ground anything to and electric cart chassis. The lights should be grounded to the batteries. Make sure that the new lights have two wires, one to the battery "+" side and one to the "-" side.

My cart has the 12 v lights connected to the second battery "-" and the third battery "+". The "+" wire from the battery has a inline fuse.

Another consideration is to get a voltage reducer which will reduce the voltage from 36v to 12v. If you plan on using the lights a great deal the voltage reducer might be a better idea.

Also, if you want to have brake lights there are light kits that include that. These are available from vendors that sell cart equipment and upgrades.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for that ..... One more question. I have been looking for lights and other parts ( rocker panels, brush guards / bumpers,lifts... etc. ) everything I find is for 94 and up or TXT .....To be honest , I haven't got a clue what mine is ! I have looked at the plate under the dash and from all the research I've done the last two numbers are the year ? If that is true mine is a 89 .... it has a sticker on the back that says ( PC4X ) .... it has that front cowl that is posted in the sticky for cowl removal........ heck I don't mind making parts work, but I just can't believe that there aren't more model specific parts for this cart.........
Old 11-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Damaged

you may also want to think about running a seperate 12v battery for your lights and accessories. I put one in my cart and ran a line to a seperate fuse block and run my accessories to their. I also ran a seperate wires to a power port where I can charge phone or use trickle charger to charge up the 12v
dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good Idea .... then just use a trickle charger to keep it up ......... sorry for my last post .... I think mine is a marathon although it doesn't say it anywhere..... I have seen replacement cowls on a few sites that look like mine ....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO