lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
angriffnole
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: installed D & D 5020 and lost speed

speedchaser, just talked to my wife and she said the cart does go faster in reverse. I don't know how that can be because I hooked up the wires exactly as the stock motor. Unless the post are different. For example: here is a picture of stock motor before i unhooked it. I hooked same wire up the same way. White and orange to the front and green and blue in the back. Unless the 4 post on the new motor are not the same?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(23).jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
angriffnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

You need to make sure of the motor posts, s2, f2 etc... and then get it right. Let us know if we can help.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
angriffnole
Not Yet Wild

speedchaser, I went home and checked the connections and took two more pictures. I hooked up the post just like the stock one. I actually drove it forward and reverse many times. Although it was close, I do think reverse might have been a little faster. I actually bought the motor from a golf cart rebuild business. Guy said it was only used for testing. Although it looked new the date on it is aug of 03. Motor is 9 years old. he said it has been sitting on a shelf. Now I am hearing a clicking noise coming from the rear driver side tire. Sounds like a big rock stuck in tread but found nothing. I wonder if it has something to do with the new motor not having the motor bumper. I specifically called Jeff at D and D and asked him if I would need one for this motor and he said no. What do you think?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
angriffnole
Not Yet Wild

two pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new motor 1.jpg (107.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg new motor 2.jpg (109.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #15
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Maybe this can help you determine your wiring. That is one old motor, you got that from D&D?
Attached Images
File Type: gif DCX-wire-diagram2.gif (30.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Looks hooked up right to me, that motor is bad, or controller needs upgrading. If you got that from D&D I would only upgrade controller if they guaranteed it would work.

If not, I would return that motor to whoever you got it from and start over.

PS: Just read your post, just take motor back to that guy and start over.. Not sure what a motor bumper is, have not heard of that, enlighten me please.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
angriffnole
Not Yet Wild

Hope i am explaining this right, the motor bumper is the plastic part about the size of a nickel and a little thicker that slides down the inside of the shaft that is attached to the motor. Then this shaft slides over the splines on the gears when you hook up motor. i have read on this sight that if you dont have one it could cause a knocking sound. Thats why I called Jeff at D and D and asked him if I needed one for this motor he said without a doubt no. I now wonder if he is wrong, but he is the Tech at D and D. I bought this motor from a guy on ebay who own a small rebuild place. I know, I know, I new this was risky and looks like I may have lost on this one. speedchaser the diagram looks like a controller. Mine is stock, have not even done anything to it so the wires must be hooked up right,,,your thoughts? Also, I was going to contact D and D but to be honest with you, the woman who answers the phone their and jeff were both somewhat rude and made you feel like an idiot when you asked a question. Although I had full intentions of buying a whole kit from them I will cerainly not do it now. I have owned a business for over 25 years and God has blessed beyond my supidtiy but I will not spend money at a place that does not treat a customer with respect and D and D absolutely failed at that.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The motor you have should have an upgraded controller and upgraded cables to supply the amperage it needs to run.

Typically we run those type motors with 500 amp controllers and 2g cables.

Tech specs say the motor will run 14mph on stock control and 22 mph on 500 amps

Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
angriffnole
Not Yet Wild

scottyb, why does their web sight say you can keep all stock and run about 14 mph. I have all stock and it might go 7 mph ? Do you think the upgrade would change the performance and make this motor a go. Or does it sound like this thing at 9 years old is had its best days?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Look at it this way, a controller upgrade is always advisable when you are upgrading a motor, especially for a higher torque application, so at this point you could get yourself say a 500 amp controller and see if it fixes the problem with that motor. If it doesn't you could purchase a new motor and you would already have the controller.

Tags
motor 170-502-0002
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car