lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default TahoeDawgZ71 Please fill us in!

What does a Club Car Communications Display Module do? Is it for all OBC equipped carts, or just IQ models? Is it a good thing to have if you are a single cart owner, or is it mainly for fleet use?
Thanks
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: TahoeDawgZ71 Please fill us in!

Personally for a single cart owner probably don't need it. I have not needed one for the last 10 years of carts so I think I would not waste my money. as for what it does? I think it reads some code by infrared through the yellow bat light on the dash, probably info from the OBC. My opinion is that I would junk the club car electronics, bypass the OBC and remove the idiot light and all would be good, at least for me.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
Personally for a single cart owner probably don't need it. I have not needed one for the last 10 years of carts so I think I would not waste my money.
That's kind of what I was thinking...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
gadavis
Gone Wild

We have one at the golf course where i work. It gives you the pack voltage reading, the mode the charger finished in, IE: 16 hr timed out. normal charge and a reading of the total energy units used from the batteries and the energy units used since the last charge. Tahoe Dawg can elaborate more on this, but we mainly use it to rotate the carts each month so we can keep the battery usage about even. I doubt this info would mean much to me on a personal cart basis, but useful in a fleet situation for us.

Gene Davis Twin city Country Club Sandersville, Ga.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadavis View Post
We have one at the golf course where i work. It gives you the pack voltage reading, the mode the charger finished in, IE: 16 hr timed out. normal charge and a reading of the total energy units used from the batteries and the energy units used since the last charge. Tahoe Dawg can elaborate more on this, but we mainly use it to rotate the carts each month so we can keep the battery usage about even. I doubt this info would mean much to me on a personal cart basis, but useful in a fleet situation for us.

Gene Davis Twin city Country Club Sandersville, Ga.
How exactly does it work? Do you hold it near the indicator light or something?
I know it uses an infrared signal...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
gadavis
Gone Wild

When Tahoe Dawg gets here he can correct it if I have this wrong. He is our go to guy when we run into a problem. He always has the right answer for me.

I usually lay it on the seat bottom cushion and point it at the battery light with the mode selected that you want to read. Some times you have to wake the cart up, maybe mash accelerator pedal or something to use the system. Mode 1 gives you the pack voltage. Mode 2 gives the energy units used since the last charge. Mode 3 gives the total energy units removed from the batteries(does not return to zero when you install new batteries though). Mode 4 tells how the last charge ended. IE: normal, 16 hr timed out, a.c. power interruption, etc,
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadavis View Post
When Tahoe Dawg gets here he can correct it if I have this wrong. He is our go to guy when we run into a problem. He always has the right answer for me.

I usually lay it on the seat bottom cushion and point it at the battery light with the mode selected that you want to read. Some times you have to wake the cart up, maybe mash accelerator pedal or something to use the system. Mode 1 gives you the pack voltage. Mode 2 gives the energy units used since the last charge. Mode 3 gives the total energy units removed from the batteries(does not return to zero when you install new batteries though). Mode 4 tells how the last charge ended. IE: normal, 16 hr timed out, a.c. power interruption, etc,
Ok thanks for the info
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Gadavis nailed this right on the head. My services are not needed here. Good job Gene!

I will add however that it's completely useless for an individual owner. It's mainly for dealers. I removed the OBC from my personal cart. Mainly because the controller is too freakin big and I don't have room for an OBC, but nonetheless... it's been removed and I don't miss those functions. I'm using a DPI 48 volt charger and couldn't be happier.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Ok guys thanks for the good info
I don't think I will be buying one!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Gadavis nailed this right on the head. My services are not needed here. Good job Gene!

I will add however that it's completely useless for an individual owner. It's mainly for dealers. I removed the OBC from my personal cart. Mainly because the controller is too freakin big and I don't have room for an OBC, but nonetheless... it's been removed and I don't miss those functions. I'm using a DPI 48 volt charger and couldn't be happier.
How hard is it to remove the OBC? I might want to do that once my warranty runs out?
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car