lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Stout06
Not Yet Wild

Default pds wont go

Im new at golf carts. I installed a alltrax dcx400 and it blinks 4 green and blinks 3 red. I tried programming the controller but when I plug the controller in it says cannot locate motor controller. Any ideas?
Stout06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: pds wont go

Two separate issues.

1. Three red blinks. That means the Pedal switch contacts aren't opening when pedal is up, or that the ITS input signal to the controller is too high when pedal is up.
Bad switch and/or ITS sensor and/or adjustment.

2. Computer not seeing the controller. Not all serial cables and USB to serial adapters work. Also, not all operating systems are compatible.
Alltrax website has the info.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Stout06
Not Yet Wild

How do I determine which one?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Stout06
Not Yet Wild

Should connector with red black and white with a grey coating from the cart plug in? If so I can't find a spot for it
Old 04-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout06 View Post
How do I determine which one?
Pedal switch is the easiest to check, start there.

At the controller adapter harness, unplug the cable the goes to the ITS box, which is located under the floor mat.
Measure between pins 1 & 2 (Red and Green wires) with an ohmmeter. Should be open when pedal is up and closed when pedal is down.

If it doesn't, replace the switch.
If it does, more troubleshooting is needed

Quote:
Should connector with red black and white with a grey coating from the cart plug in? If so I can't find a spot for it
That is probably the wires from the speed sensor on the backside of the motor. It isn't used with a DCX controller. Just tie it up out of the way.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Stout06
Not Yet Wild

It's odd because it works fine with the original controller. I installed the serial cable on a windows xp computer and it still won't recognize the motor
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. It's odd because it works fine with the original controller.
2. I installed the serial cable on a windows xp computer and it still won't recognize the motor
1. Odd or not, the fact it worked with a stock PDS controller doesn't alter the fact it isn't working with the DCX controller.

For some reason, the DCX controller is sensing that the pedal is not being fully released.
You have two options: Turn off the "High Pedal Disable" feature or fix the problem that is telling the DCX that the pedal is partially depressed when the start sequence initiates.

Since you are unable to reprogram the DCX at this time, You will have to fix whatever is telling the DCX the pedal is partially depressed.

If the Pedal switch is working the way it is supposed to, measure the voltage between pins 1 & 2 on DCX controller.
Should be 10V with pedal up and 6V with pedal on floor.
If it is not, the ITS sensor is bad, or the plunger that is moved in and out of the ITS sensor by throttle pedal isn't adjusted properly.

Note: the stock controller and the DCX use the same ITS senor, but the rest of the circuit is inside the controller and what works for one may not work for the other.

-------------
2. Is the controller powered up when the computer attempts to access it?

Do you have a Steady Green LED or is it flashing an error code?

You may have to use a bench power set-up instead of using cart power because of the throttle error in the cart.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The controller needs to be powered up BEFORE the program can FIND it.
Hot wire or wait until the solenoid powers up the controller before you open the program and the software will find the hardware

Aside from bypassing the problem there is little to do in the program for this problem, sometimes the inductive signal is produced a little ahead of the peddle box ms trigger, this results in too high a throttle signal when the control is powered up. Adjust the the ITS plunger if this is happening. It is rare but has happened on a few carts. In a case like this insure the ms triggers before the plunger enters the tube.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Stout06
Not Yet Wild

I got all that figured out haha. Now it's solid green but when I give it gas it goes under voltage I have it set to 18 in the program. I have the diode yellow to red and black to blue. When I monitor the voltage it's 38v then when I give it throttle it drops to .3volts?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Where, exactly, are you monitoring the voltage?

If you are measuring for the battery pack main negative to the controller side big terminal on the solenoid and the pre-charge resistor is installed you will get almost pack voltage with the pedal up.
If the solenoid's contacts don't close, the voltage there will drop to near zero when the controller starts sending amps to the motor.
Which in turn, will give you a low-voltage alarm.

The Banded end of the diode should attach to the small solenoid terminal with the blue wire on it.

Pull the diode off and see if it works, it could be a bad diode.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO