lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default TXT Upgrade Advice

Well, the day started out crappy. I was planning on taking my lifted Marathon to the deer lease and move some stands around. I got to the lease, the wife and I got everything loaded up, took the trailer off the truck and hooked it to the cart, and struck out. I got about 300yds away from the truck and realized I forgot the chainsaw, so we turned around and went back. Well, within the last 100yds there is a very steep incline, and we had slowly made it all the way back up and back to the truck, but I knew it was probably overheating the electronics. I figured I would let them cool off a few minutes before going back and everything should be OK since that was the only hill we had to climb. Wrong! I went to get back on the cart and take off, and nothing happened. I poked around under the seat and could smell that electrical "hot" smell. I quickly evaluated that the sylinoid was good and the wiper contacts were all good. The cables were all in good shape with no melted or burnt insulation. It took me a little while to find out what the problem really was.

The trailer I am pulling around is a 5x10 utility trailer. Its the same trailer I use to pull the cart around on. I have used this cart to pull this trailer several times around the yard at home. It always starts out slow, but once it gets moving it really isn't that noticeable back there. I have even used it to pull the trailer loaded level with the top rails with firewood and had no problems. But, those were all on fairly level ground.

Apparantly, the weight of the trailer combined with the length and steepness of the hill we were climbing proved too much for the plastic boards to handle. When I got the cart, I replaced all electronics with newparts, and everything that I could get a heavy duty part for got replaced with the upgraded HD parts. But, in the end, its still a resistor cart. I discovered the weak link to be the plastic boards that hold the contacts in the F/R switch. I had melted the plastic board that hold the contact and it had pulled away, thus breaking the connection and stopping my cart dead. I was luckily able to steal a used board off of my father-in-law's old cart (that he doesn't use any more and gave me permission to steal).

Because of all this, the guy who owns the land I hunt on (who also gave me the Marathon cart) said I could have the other cart that he had at his house, which turned out to be a TXT. It appears to be a 96 with a quick glance. Its needs a good cleaning and a refurbishing, but it looks like its miles ahead of the Marathon already simply because it has Solid State electronics on it already.

So, I told you all that to ask you this. What do I need to do to my new TXT to get it capable of handling the scenario listed above? Im not planning on loading the trailer up super heavy and taking off up mount Everest, but I would like to use it to move stands and feeders, and still be able to drive itself up the hill to where I park my truck. What do you recommend, where can I get it, and how much will it cost?
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT Upgrade Advice

tyhuck.....the WHERE TO GET IT part is easy....Scottyb's CartsUnlimited.net

is your TXT a Series or Sepex motored cart?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

and do you have larger wheels/tires on it? or do you intend to put them on.

actually you could go straight to the source and give scottyb at the office and give him the low down on your cart and he can give you the best bang for your buck as to what you would need for your application.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

: if your buddies ( landowner ) cart is all stock
This is what you need : 1) lift cart to 6 inch and put on 22inch tires Where to Buy: Scooty
Carts unlimited

2) put higher grade Alltrax 400amp controller in
Cart ( this will replace stock controller 250-300amp )
3) new batteries go 6 volt , go with high goof -amp
Rating - better run time then 8 volt or 12 volt
** 4) convert to 48 volt - which will require upping the
solenoid from 36 v to 48 v
5) increase gauge size of battery wires from 6 guage
To 4 gauge

** - option could stay 36 volt for now convert later
Welcome to the maddness of cart ownership oh yhea bring lots of money
Cheers !

Last edited by Great white north; 08-24-2013 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Add sentence
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Im thinking it might be a series, but I will have to check later. It does have a rod extending from the F/R switch to a box on the passenger side, if that makes any difference.

I do plan on lifting and running a 22" tire and already planning on 4g (or even 2g) wire setup. I probably wont convert to a 48v right off, unless I have the extra $$$ when time comes to replace the batteries, but its a definite on the wish list.

Oh, and Im not new to the madness. I invested over $2500 into the Marathon just to get it to slightly better than stock. That number isn't as high as it could be because I built my own lift, brush guard, and rear cargo rack. Im hoping to do the same on the TXT, but I haven't really taken a good look at it.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would also check out the rear end of that TXT first to see if there is any grinding of gears shavings , colour of oil etc prob will need bearings pull axil to check
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need to know what you want to end up with in order to get the right components. A 400 amp control is about 1/3 bigger than the stock control but so are your tires = break even. Add the shear weight of the racks and upgrades, trailers, hills.... your asking alot.
We can do it but you have to go top drawer to get top performance.
I suggest a SPM 500 with 400amp control, 2g cables, and a Reversing contactor conversion on 48v (6/8v)... all this rolling on 22" tires (not too big) with an eye on a custom D&D later down the road($5-600)..... cost is about $1000 for the electronics and cables. I hope this gives something to kick around
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, i get what you are saying, but some of the abbreviations and tech talk is going above me. I can trust that you can set me up though. Not sure what a reversing contractor, or a D&D is. I apologize for my ignorance but this is my first non-resistor cart so it will take me a while to learn the lingo.

So the entire conversion would be $1,000? Its not as bad as I thought.

First things first though. Gotta get it home and triage the cart so see what needs to be immediately addressed. Thanks guys. Im sure ill be in touch about this again once i get her running properly.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhuck View Post
Ok, i get what you are saying, but some of the abbreviations and tech talk is going above me. I can trust that you can set me up though. Not sure what a reversing contractor, or a D&D is. I apologize for my ignorance but this is my first non-resistor cart so it will take me a while to learn the lingo.

So the entire conversion would be $1,000? Its not as bad as I thought.

First things first though. Gotta get it home and triage the cart so see what needs to be immediately addressed. Thanks guys. Im sure ill be in touch about this again once i get her running properly.
A Reversing Contractor is similar to the F/R switch in a PDS/DSC cart.....however, according to what you said earlier, you have a Series cart.

D&D.....its short for D&D Motors. They make performance electric motors.
http://www.ddmotorsystems.com/
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, now I follow.

Like I said, first step is to make sure it works. Are the upgrades listed things that can be done in small steps to get small improvements toward my goal, or will they all have to be done at once?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Once you get the cart home and access the situation ;
First - how old are the batteries in the cart ? Batts r the heart of the cart
If they r over 5 years old replace them they r probably near there end of life span , if the batts r less then that and r in good shape
Put a newer controller in 400 or 500 amp keep with the 36 volt system until
Your original batts die then upgrade to 48 volt and new batts , I would upgrade the solenoid to one that can handle 36 -48 volt as well
Good luck
Cheers !
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO