lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Truckmaniac
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 Club Car Performance/Tire Questions

As you can see, I'm new to the Forum (1st Post), but not to golf carts.

I bought a used "gas" Club Car 15 years ago for my youngest daughter and it served her well, until she got her driver's license and lost interest.

Fast forward to 2014 and it was time to get something for the grand kids to enjoy. This time, I went with an electric cart, specifically a 2011 Club Car Precedent (Excel system) that had been refurbished with new 2014 Trojan batteries (6 x 8 volt), new body, monsoon top, sport seat, flip-down rear seat, headlight, tail lights, 12" wheels, low-profile street tires (18.75" tall), tinted windshield and speed level 4 upgrade to 19+ MPH.

I've taken the cart out a few times by myself (250 #'s) but wasn't impressed with the speed. I verified top speed to be 15-16 MPH with a GPS (the digital read-out would jump back & forth between 15 & 16). This was with the windshield "up", and winds less than 5 MPH.

[B]Questions:[/B]

Does my top speed sound right for a cart with the speed upgrade, given the specifics of my cart and my weight?

If the level 4 upgrade won't net more than 16 MPH, what are my other options? It appears they are limited with the Excel system.

What pressure should I run in the tires? The low-profile tires show a maximum load rating of 21 psi and a maximum inflation pressure of 50 psi.

Thanks for any and all responses!
Truckmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Club Car Performance/Tire Questions

Are you sure you have a code 4? When I changed my cart to a code 4, the dealer actually orderd the kit from club car and it came with a sticker with the code numbers. It sound like you have a code 3 installed. My cart did around 15 with a code 3
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a 2010 Precedent Excel. It is set on speed code 3 (15 mph). Instead of going to speed code 4, I contacted Plum Quick. They built a Plum Quick Bandit motor for my cart that gave me 25 mph with no other mods. I am very happy with the increased speed.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
1970buick
Gone Wild

I have a precedent with switchable speed code 3 & 4. With no back seat and just me in it with 215/40/12 tires I was going 19mph. With the backseat and all the other options I have added it dropped to 16.3. I weigh 170. Sounds about right to me to be running what you are. If you are really interested in speed look into a new motor/controller setup.
1970buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Truckmaniac
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymonstertruck View Post
Are you sure you have a code 4? When I changed my cart to a code 4, the dealer actually orderd the kit from club car and it came with a sticker with the code numbers. It sound like you have a code 3 installed. My cart did around 15 with a code 3
I'm not 100% sure, just what the dealer told me. The dealer is 250 miles away, so taking it back to him for "verification" will cost me time & money.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Truckmaniac
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
I have a 2010 Precedent Excel. It is set on speed code 3 (15 mph). Instead of going to speed code 4, I contacted Plum Quick. They built a Plum Quick Bandit motor for my cart that gave me 25 mph with no other mods. I am very happy with the increased speed.
I've read about the Bandit here on the forum, so I sent them an email a few minutes ago. Hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
Truckmaniac
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970buick View Post
I have a precedent with switchable speed code 3 & 4. With no back seat and just me in it with 215/40/12 tires I was going 19mph. With the backseat and all the other options I have added it dropped to 16.3. I weigh 170. Sounds about right to me to be running what you are. If you are really interested in speed look into a new motor/controller setup.
How much air pressure are you running in your tires?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Truckmaniac
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckmaniac View Post
The low-profile tires show a maximum load rating of 21 psi and a maximum inflation pressure of 50 psi.
Correction: The maximum load rating per tire is 397 pounds at 12 psi.

The cart rides pretty rough with the tires inflated to 21 pounds, so I'm going to drop down to 12 psi and see what happens.

This seems pretty LOW, but I know that my riding lawn mower tires only run 10 psi.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

My tires are @ 7psi
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Walker614
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post

Bigblock you have an excel unit? I have been told that I need to change my wiring harness and controller before any upgrades would work. All you changed was the motor to an PQ bandit and got that kind of upgraded performance? I'm looking to get more torque.
Walker614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car