lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Speed question on 85 ds cc

I just got this cart about a month ago. I put batteries in it Wednesday and let it charge all night using a lester 8714. My pack voltage was 40.3 when I took the charger off this morning. Checked it when I got home this evening and the pack voltage was 38.2. Took it for a spin down the street and it was moving at a decent speed (whatever that may be for a 36v cart) lol. After about 3 mins, it was running slower. Drove it back in the garage and tested the pack voltage which was 37.2. The previous owner swapped out the 2hp motor with a 3hp motor. Not sure why. Is it just a torque difference? Or a speed difference?
krashhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Speed question on 85 ds cc

always allow a cart to fully charge when possible
it should shut off around 44.5v then settle to 38.2v after 12hrs
if you cut it off early it was not fully charged
the after use reading should of been taken 30min after running cart to allow batteries to settle and to get an accurate reading
speed for a stock 36v club car is 15~17mph (3.5hp motor) with full charge

here is SOC chart

Last edited by crash test dummy; 04-24-2014 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: added johnnieb soc
Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'm pretty sure more hp=more speed. If you are worried about the sudden loss of voltage it could be normal depending on how fast you tested it after driving it. Did you test it immediately or about 10 minutes after you drove it?
Sumner121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
crash test dummy

read >>> http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Tutorial.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Guide.pdf (45.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks crash test. I put the batteries on the charger at 7pm last night. At 7am when I left for work the charger was sitting at 10 amps. I didn't want to leave it running while I wasnt home because the timer knob does not work and I dont know if the charger will keep going or shut itself down when the Batts are done. This is my first golf cart.

Sumner, right afterwards.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

The reading may be okay for right afterwords. Usually try to give about 15 minutes or so to let the batteries recover some and get a real accurate SOC. I may have missed something in your last response if I did feel free to quote and make me feel bad but as long as the charger is functioning properly it should shut off completely on its own and it will be ok to leave the charger plugged in until next use.
Sumner121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
crash test dummy

new batteries will improve with the first 15~20 charges
i'd put cart on charger and set an alarm for 16 hrs and see where amp meter is and then check it every hour after if cart gets to 44.5v and runs on i would say it's a bad timer but if it shuts off on its own then you can just plug it in and forget it
Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
krashhole
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Forgot to mention in my post, but the batts are reconditioned ones I got from a local place. Just needed something cheap for now. So as far as this dinosaur charger goes, I assume the timer is broke because the first time I used it, I set the charger for 2 hours and it never shut off. In fact, it ran all night. The starting amps were 25 down to 10 this morning. I just checked the charger after putting it back on at 7:30 and its siting at about 7 amps, down from 20.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car