lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
my87ss
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 TXT series no fwd or reverse

New to this forum and golf carts, Just picked up a 98 TXT from work, Has no forward or reverse. They have replaced the controller, solenoid, and batteries. Just checked the motor and it is good, solenoid clicks, when the pedal is depressed, but the reverse buzzer goes off in fwd, but not reverse, As far as I can figure out, it is a series cart. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
my87ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 TXT series no fwd or reverse

Sounds like the lever on the F/R switch is installed upside down, or somebody has miswired the microswitches on the F/R switch assembly.

I guess the place to start is checking the wiring to be sure all the wires and cables are going to the right places. Schematic attached.

Then charge the batteries and check the voltage about 12 hours after the charger shuts off. Pack voltage should be 38.2V and each battery should be 6.37V.

BTW: When looking at the F/R switch from the from of the cart, the shaft of the F/R switch turns CW to go into Forward and CCW to go into Reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series.JPG (55.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Does this cart have the original Curtis (small black) control or newer white and blue Alltrax control? The Alltrax has a LED status indicator which could be giving a fault code when you try to go. THe Curtis will have to be manually checked to see if it is actually getting powered up and a good throttle signal. These are two things to check.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
my87ss
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info Jonnieb and scottyb. I pulled the F/R switch out when I came home tonight, One of the micro switches is missing the spring and doesn't sound right, Checked it with a ohm meter, and it seems ok, except the resistance on it does not match the resistance of the other, so thing it is probably bad, It does have the original blk control, not the newer one. I do believe someone has installed it wrong, When turning it to reverse the knob is a about the 9 o'clock position and fwd is at the 1 o'clock position
my87ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

To correct the last problem mentioned, a '98 series FNR has slotted bolt holes. The way I adjusted mine was to place the FNR exactly in N, then slid it back and forth until the knob was exactly straight up.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

As to the first problem on the MSs, you should read no conductivity (infinite resistance) and almost 0 resistance when closed. Anything much larger than zero indicates crud and as cheap as they are, I'd just replace it. After all, they are 16 years old.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Micro switch needs a spring - but only the ms on the drivers side needs to work to run the cart F&R, a quick test would be to move one lead so they are both on one terminal, then with the cart already securely on blocks see if it runs F&R.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO