lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Crewsdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Stereo installation help

Let me start by saying this is my first post to what has been an amazing site in helping me buy my first cart....so let me say thank you for all your help. I just bought a 2005 lifted 36v ez go txt series cart that was refurbished in 2012. The only thing that it doesn't have but I want so dearly is a stereo. Now when it comes down to powering the stereo and speakers can I hook them up to the existing batteries or do I have to buy an additional one (if so what kind of battery would I need? Another 6v?). It may be a dumb question but I know next to nothing about golf cart mechanics or any mechanics for that matter. Thank you all again for being so informative and I will be on this site everyday as long as I own a cart.
Crewsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
FlyingRN
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Stereo installation help

Most (all) automotive car stereos are 12v. So, it depends on what batteries you have in your cart. If you have 6 6v, then you can hook up to two batteries in series to get your 12 v, but the best thing to do would be get the proper power inverter and follow the instruction included. You could also get a separate, dedicated 12v battery (with its own charger) and use that, that way if you plays your radio for a long time, you won't kill your carts drive batteries and have to walk home.
FlyingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have the room, I strongly recommend a standalone 12v for accessories. I use a trickle charger and power port to charge mine. Simple, cheap and no drain from the main pack. Your single caveat to this system is to run power and ground wires to the accessories. You cannot use the frame to ground your circuits.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with adding a 12v, and then running all accessories off of that battery. I just did that with mine and love it. I bought a group 24 marine battery for hopefully longer life but I know some people use smaller lawn tractor batteries and are happy with the results.

Also make sure when installing the stereo you run the ground wire back to the battery and not to a frame ground. And adding something like this makes the wiring really easy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-Sys...vxp=mtrhttp://
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Crewsdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you all for the help. Although I may not need another battery I'm going to add another one since I have the space. I plan on adding some LEDs down the road so that seems like the best route to take. Plus it will help with my run time. I appreciate the advice.
Crewsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewsdaddy View Post
Thank you all for the help. Although I may not need another battery I'm going to add another one since I have the space. I plan on adding some LEDs down the road so that seems like the best route to take. Plus it will help with my run time. I appreciate the advice.
That's exactly why I went with an auxiliary battery. I would much prefer to try and drive home with dim lights then not being able to make it home. Or have to take the expensive batteries below a SOC that might start to cause damage.

If I destroy my auxiliary battery I'm out $80 not $800
Old 06-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

. Unless you get a voltage reducer, your going to have an uneven pack after charging. And for the price of one of those I'd go ahead and get the aux. batt. and like these guys already said, at least you'll still be able to drive back home even if it is in silence. That's what I done and don't regret it one bit.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
shaver
Not Yet Wild

Is there a video that helps to show how to install a radio on a EZ GO golf cart?
shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No video that I know of but should be pretty straight forward. Most people put the radio in the ball holder on the dash. You will need to cut the dash to fit the radio but after that pretty much wire it like a regular radio. Again don't ground the radio to the chassis run the neg back to the battery.

You could also get a custom dash or roof top stereo pod. I just went with an ipod amp and mounted it under the front cowl and then cut out speaker holes in the battery compartment and rear fenders.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

shaver, I'd get a fuse holder and put it pretty close to the pos. post. Speaker wires for left and right side are color coded but, the blue wire is usually the remote wire that goes to an external amp, this wire sends a signal to the amp to turn on when radio is turned on. I've got a toggle switch to cut mine on and off but the blue wire still hooks up to the amp. But just make sure the ground is hooked to the battery and not the frame. Fuse from radio hot wire needs to be no bigger than whats called for, that way you don't fry your radio in case of a overload.Hope this helps some.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stereo installation, stereo wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO