lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Oaz194
Not Yet Wild

Default E-Z-GO Solenoid buzzing in reverse

I have a 80's model E-Z-GO 3 wheel cart. Last week I noticed the resistor coil getting red hot ( burning ) and the cart started making a clicking noise when turned on. I replaced all the batteries and battery cables. Replaced the solenoid and now the cart is in fine forward but makes a buzzing sound in reverse, even when the cart is turned off.

Plus, when the key is turned on the cart is in forward nothing happens when the pedal is compressed.

I checked to make sure my micro switch was connecting. Any idea what the problem could be?
Oaz194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: E-Z-GO Solenoid buzzing in reverse

Welcome to BGW

sounds like a lot of new parts, but did you ever change or rebuild the forward/reverse switch? it could be sparking in reverse.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Oaz194
Not Yet Wild

I have not tried replacing that switch. It looks fine, I'll order the switch and see if that works. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
rib33024

take it apart and inspect it before you buy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
MECHANICAL FNR HEAVY DUTY BUSS UPGRADE

OK, had a bit of a problem with the SD card out of the camera so I lost all but a couple of the pics of this rebuild. So, I had to “rebuild the rebuild” and get the relevant pictures for this post.

This upgrade will increase the amp carrying capacity of a mechanical FNR switch on an EZGO golf cart.

To fab your own buss bars, obtain enough alloy 110 or 102 1/8"(.125”) thick copper sheet to make 2 each buss bars ½” wide by 2-1/4” in length. Use the factory buss bars as a template to drill 2 holes @ 21/64” diameter for the studs. File or grind the corners round.

Now, armed with your new buss bars, follow the directions below to install heavy duty buss bars in the FNR cam.

1. Disconnect main positive and negative cables from battery pack then insulate and secure.
2. Remove FNR switch cables and micro wires then mark, insulate, and secure.
3. Remove FNR switch from cart.

Now that the FNR switch is out of the cart and on the bench you should have something that looks like this.

Remove the lock nut from the back side of the FNR switch shaft. Indicated by the arrow in this pic.

Pull the cam and shaft assembly from the shifter side straight out from the FNR switch board. You don't necessarily have to remove the reverse buzzer or micro switches. If you don't remove the micros, make sure to align the indents in the cam to the micro switch rollers and don't bend them when reinstalling the cam on the board.

You should have something that resembles this pic. The shaft has been removed for clarity. You can see it behind the cam.

IMPORTANT: Note the orientation of the buss bars on the FNR cam. Then remove the 4 nuts that retain the copper studs, springs, and bushings. You should now have this in front of you on the bench.

Remove and replace as required the 4 copper studs. If you get this far, you should replace all 8 studs as a rule anyway. Inspect the springs and measure length of each. If all measure close to same then you should be good to go. I have yet to find HD springs for this application. I'm still looking! You may have to trim the bushing length to insure proper fit on the FNR cam. I cut 1/16" off of each bushing to accommodate the thicker buss bars. If you trim the bushings, make sure to cut squarely!!! This pic is of the FNR cam completely disassembled. The arrows point to the buss bars. That's what we're after.

Here is a pic of your new HD buss bars compared to the factory bars. Now you see why upgrading the buss bars is important!

Reassembly is reverse. Make sure to put the buss bars back in the correct orientation on the cam as noted above. Do not tension the springs until all nuts are started then tension (tighten) the nuts sequentially in a cross pattern.

THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT. REFER TO THE PICTURE BELOW AND MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THE LONG EDGE OF THE COPPER STUDS ARE ORIENTED EXACTLY AS THIS PHOTO. THIS INSURES PERFECT CONTACT WITH THE OPPOSING STUD WHEN YOU REASSEMBLE THE FNR.

This pic shows why aligning the studs on the FNR cam is critical. The first pic, the FNR is in Neutral. The second pic the FNR is in forward. If you don't align the cam studs properly then you will not make perfect contact with the mating stud resulting in problems.

Reinstall the cam back in the FNR board. I use a very small amount of dielectric grease on the shaft but only where it passes through the phenolic board. Install the shaft nut and washer and tighten. You'll have to decide how tight you want the FNR lever to be. You'll know if you over tighten the FNR shaft nut since you won't be able to turn the FNR lever.

As a rule, I strip the FNR completely and clean and polish every part. I normally replace all 8 copper studs and suggest you do the same.

Congratulations! You now have a heavy duty FNR switch!

Tools list:
Screwdriver (phillips & straight)
Wrenches (3/8; 7/16";1/2";9/16")
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
rib33024

How about the wiper board, is the studs clean and and tight? need to check the coils to, make sure that they are not touching each other and that none are broken. You said you replaced the solenoid, did you get a solenoid for a golf cart? or did you buy it at the auto parts store,
Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Oaz194
Not Yet Wild

All the studs are tight. I have not cleaned them. I got the solenoid off-line. It's the exact same model the cart originally ran with.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaz194 View Post
Replaced the solenoid and now the cart is in fine forward but makes a buzzing sound in reverse, even when the cart is turned off.
are you sure this is not the reverse buzzer ?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
Oaz194
Not Yet Wild

It never buzzed before and it sounds like the buzzing is coming from the solenoid. I'm pretty sure there isn't a reverse buzzer on a cart this old, but I could be wrong. How would I check to see if it's the buzzer?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
rib33024

Solenoid could be a bad one it happens, did the old solenoid work? if so switch them and see if the noise is still there.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
Oaz194
Not Yet Wild

I cleaned the switches. And replaced the wires to the solenoid. Cart drives fine front and reverse. The buzzing still happens when I put the cart in reverse, but when I press the pedal the buzzing stops.

Should I be concerned about the buzzing or just let it go?

Tags
e-z go, e-z go electric, marathon, soleniod, soleniod wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO