lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
ijakers
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery charge issues??

Great info! Thanks a bunch! The charger I have is the ez go power wise qe. I have a black rectangle style, I have also tried my dad's charger which is the same but his is silver and rectangle with a curve on the fin side. Both chargers seem to perform the same. I see no type of selection option on either charger.
ijakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if either of those will charge US Battery batteries properly.
What is the max On-Charge voltage reached? (IE: Voltage just before charger shuts off.)

If your voltmeter has a Peak Hold or Min/Max function, just start a new charge cycle when the batteries are "Fully" charged and read what the meter says after the charger shuts off again. Otherwise, you have to watch the meter.

There is more than one issue here. Cause and Effect ..... Charger and Batteries.

The effect is that the battery pack isn't performing up to par and that problem may have been caused by the charger not charging them properly, or it could simply be that one battery is failing, or it could be some combination of both.

Drive the cart like you normally do and when it "needs to be recharged" using whatever criteria you normally use to determine that, let the cart sit for at least half an hour and then measure the voltage of the individual batteries.

When "fully" charger battery #6 was about 0.2V lower then the rest, so I suspect the difference will be much greater after being discharged.

-----------
BTW: A 0.2V pack imbalance isn't all that bad, so the #6 battery might be recoverable.

If you can lay your hands on a 6V charger, give that battery a long charge and it might come up to the same voltage as the rest.

----------
This is the charger I use: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html
It has user selectable charge profiles (including one for US Battery) and goes into float charge after the regular charge cycle ends.
Basically, when my cart isn't on the road, it is on charge.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
ijakers
Not Yet Wild

I have a 6 volt charger and will do that ASAP! I removed the flat 60 amp fuse on the charger harness and restarted the charger. It charged for another 1 3/4 hours in the <80% stage before shutting off again. I have had issue with that fuse in the past and just recently put it back on the cart after new batts and stereo install.
ijakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You don't have to disconnect the battery from the pack to use the 6V charger, however you can't use the 6V on one battery and be charging the whole pack with a 36V charger at the same time.

If you have kids around that might stick a metallic object in the cart's charge receptacle, you need the 60A (or 50A) fuse, but if you don't have kids around, the fuse is more or less redundant. All it protects against is the possibility of the terminals in the cart's charge receptacle being shorted together, or a short in the charger, but most chargers have a fuse in them. If not, the diodes will act as fuses.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO