lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
jac700389
Not Yet Wild

Question 48V Club Car battery/power questions

I have a 2004 Club Car Precedent 48V cart. I got the cart a couple years back and shortly after the batteries failed. I use the cart at the Drag strip so very little use and sits all week in the garage or trailer. I was told that I would be Ok with putting in 4 group 31 deep cycle batteries at half the cost because of how I would be using it. All has been fine for a couple years but I put on a street kit with lights etc. late last year and now my front passenger side battery where the lights are connected has gone bad. All the other batteries charge individually up to 13V then after a day they stay steady at 12.6 or so but that one goes down to 10.2. I have since replaced the one battery and it holds a charge fine. My question is twofold, one I do notice that when I put the cart away and turn off the key the taillights stay on for 15 seconds or so leading me to believe that it could be drawing power while put away even though the kit said it would not. Secondly when I took out the battery and replaced it with the new one I forgot to switch over to tow mode and when I went to hook up the power wire I got a huge spark upon touching it to the post. I quickly switched over to tow and completed the install. If the cart sits unused in run mode is there a draw on these batteries? Should I switch to tow when not in use? Will this eliminate all draw from the batteries? I do not like to leave the charger on all the time because of not having the proper batteries in the cart so I fully charge say on Sunday night or Monday night and let sit until the next weekend. Sorry for the long winded rant. Thank you for the help. John
jac700389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 48V Club Car battery/power questions

The delay is normal with a light kit 15s to 30s....if it doesnt shut off thats a problem. They wont draw down if nothing is on. Going to one battery will continue to ruin 1 battery. Go reducer or separate battery.
Always leave charger plugged it if it has a float stage. Switch to tow whenever working on the cart.
If it still runs the spark didnt hurt ya but now you know.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
jac700389
Not Yet Wild

Yea I wont forget that anytime soon. I was thinking of adding a stereo as well and then adding a separate battery in the back to run the lights and the stereo. I do not like to leave the charger plugged in all the time because of the incorrect batteries and the fact that they will bubble loudly sometimes when left plugged in. If the cart is left sitting in run mode without the charger on am I to assume there is a draw from the cart on the batteries? Does putting it in tow mode disable all draw?
Old 10-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I don't think there is a draw in run or tow just sitting there. I've never heard or read that. But leaving accessories on or a reducer will draw.
I get your point but letting them sit isn't good either they lose charge, sulfate and lose capacity. I don't understand wrong batteries deep cycle golf cart fla is right but I don't know what a group 31 is anyway. Maybe get a battery tender that trickles them during the week???
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
crash test dummy

if i may ...group 31 deep cycle batteries are Marine and Boat Deep Cycle battery
Built for extended run time of your trolling motor, bilge pump, lighting, depth finder, locators and accessories
they are (usually) sealed batteries and not intended for the large amp draws of a golf cart
also they charge different from golf cart batteries
with that said you can use them but i would not
Old 10-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
jac700389
Not Yet Wild

You are correct and I agree with you completely. The fact is the 4 batteries cost me $380 bucks and until now have worked fine for over 2 years with the little amount I use the cart. When I priced the batteries that were correct for the cart they were north of $800. Hence why I am apprehensive to leave the charger on all the time like normal. Just forgetting to switch to tow before replacing that battery and having it spark made me think that sitting for a week without charging would drain down the batteries. Wasn't sure if switching to tow mode would shut the cart down so as to not have a draw or drain on the batteries. Again agree with you for sure just do not know how the cart functions as far as power and battery draw while sitting unused with key off.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I thinking the controller has a capacitor the would likely cause the spark. You are very lucky you didn't blow the controller. I would put it in tow and put a battery tinder on it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
crash test dummy

Batteries are subject to an internal discharge, also called self-discharge. This rate is determined by the battery type, and the metallurgy of the lead used in its construction. Wet cells, with the cavities inside for electrolyte, use a lead-antimony alloy to increase mechanical strength. The antimony also increases the internal discharge rate to between 8% and 40% per month.
so worst case you are losing 10% a week best case is 2% a week average is 4.5% week .. if you charge it before you put it away you should be good for week
as for cost
Quote:
4 batteries cost me $380 bucks... worked fine for over 2 years
6 years = $1,140 ...golf cart batteries 6 years = $800 ... you have to look at long term
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car