lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
ecampbell54
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 Slowing WAY down with fairly new Trojans

Thanks in advance.

I have searched several areas of this form and haven't found a lot of great troubleshooting info but not exactly the same issue that I'm having.

I would love some advice from you guys and will try to lay out as much detail as possible to minimize back and forth

I have a 3" lifted 2009 G29 electric golf cart. The PTV code was flashed by the dealer 5 years ago and we have loved it. Last season the 7+ year old 12 volt Trojans gave up and we got 4 new ones late last summer. It ran perfectly for a couple months. During a late and chilly trip in November I noticed 3 issues:

-Lack of power/speed
-A drivetrain noise i haven't heard before. Its like a faint but consistent buzzing (If the noise was present when we bought it I don't think I would have thought anything of it)
-Leaking fluid from axle seal

I normally would try to figure this out myself, but we had one last big trip ahead of us. (Disney World for Christmas) So I found a local custom cart shop that said they'd be willing to take a look at it.

Shop replaced inter seals and replaced the fluid
They said didn't notice the noise or any other lack of performance

We brought the golf cart to Disney. Golf cart seemed a few miles slower and the noise still seem to be there but no other performance issues. (I'm probably getting used to it)

Fast forward two two weeks ago and our first trip of the season with the cart. The cart is running significantly slower and almost slows to a crawl after only 10 or 15 minutes.

I'm now trying to figure out are if my new batteries are really bad, or do I need a new controller, or do I need a new motor, something else? not sure.

Here are the details from my testing:

- Stock motor and controller
- Charger seems to be working fine, charges to over 53 volts and then floats
- All four batteries are within 100th of a volt of each other
- after being off the charger for 24 hours total battery voltage drops till about 52 volts
- when driving voltage can drop as low as 45volts uphill.
-after about six minutes of driving total voltage recovers to about 50.9 volts
-all four batteries are within the same range of each other
-battery water levels are all fine and checked regularly
- that noise is still there
- It's a cool day and the six minutes of driving left the power terminals on the motor feeling warm to the touch

Thanks for reading!
ecampbell54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
ecampbell54
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G29 Slowing WAY down with fairly new Trojans

Update:. I replaced the motor and at least initially, that seems to have fixed the issues. I'm now monitoring the voltage real time and I'm shocked how low the voltage gets under load (low 40s) but performance seems to have improved dramatically.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
rib33024

Fully charge the cart. Take pack volts. Hook you meter to each battery and drive up hill Report each battery volts here. Sounds like you might have a bad battery
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
ecampbell54
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Fully charge the cart. Take pack volts. Hook you meter to each battery and drive up hill Report each battery volts here. Sounds like you might have a bad battery
Thanks, See data attached

The entire cart voltage was likely high because I took it immediately after disconnecting a float charger and before backing out of my driveway to record the other voltages.

Battery 1 was where the positive terminal connects and battery 4 was the negative
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190427-135730_Sheets.jpg (65.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
rib33024

It should be charging to around 56 to 60 volts before it floats
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha