lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
larrybr45
Not Yet Wild

Red face Too long sparkplug used, wont turnover now

I inadvertently put in too long of a spark plug in my 1994 gas club car. I tried to start and heard a heavy rubbing sound. I took out the plug and noticed it was ground down now to the beginning of the threads (first part that is screwed into the hole). I put in the old plug and it will not turnover, but there is spark.

When I took out the plug and watch what happened when trying to start, I saw a flat metal piece in the hole where the plug should be and it kind of flapped up and down a little. My mechanic said he was not sure why there would be a piece of metal that I should see a piston top when looking in the hole. Not sure if I cracked the piston etc.

At any rate, it will not turnover. Any suggestions?

thanks
larrybr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: Too long sparkplug used, wont turnover now

you probably knocked a hole in the top of the piston
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybr45 View Post
I inadvertently put in too long of a spark plug in my 1994 gas club car. I tried to start and heard a heavy rubbing sound. I took out the plug and noticed it was ground down now to the beginning of the threads (first part that is screwed into the hole). I put in the old plug and it will not turnover, but there is spark.

When I took out the plug and watch what happened when trying to start, I saw a flat metal piece in the hole where the plug should be and it kind of flapped up and down a little. My mechanic said he was not sure why there would be a piece of metal that I should see a piston top when looking in the hole. Not sure if I cracked the piston etc.

At any rate, it will not turnover. Any suggestions?

thanks
That was a bloody daft thing to do to say say the least

Chris
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

d...a...f...t... THAT was a good one Chris!!!

I'm going to have to agree with Boke (and Chris)... you've got yourself a hole in your piston!

Just curious Larry... what was the plug originally for, that caused this dilemma?
lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
larrybr45
Not Yet Wild

I was changing out plugs and oil on several vehicles and swapped the wrong one.

How do I go about repairing this?

thanks
larrybr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

need to get a new piston and rings and should just rebuild the top but you also need to see if it did any damage to cylinder walls the broken peice is still gonna be in there somewhere........i don,t want to alarm you but there just isn,t an easy fix that part iof the piston that broke has to be found cause it can cause chaos if just left in there, wait for a few more responses but i think engine is going to have to come out ...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

time to pull the head! its the easiert thing to do! it will problaly show the hole in the piston, will show you the damage if any to the valves aand cylinder wall.

we used to brake glow plugs off in hummers i the military all rhe time, they told us not to cause the ceramic tips will crack and damage the engines. so what does any good private do, break more off! till i saw a tear down and saw a piston with 4 glow plugs beat into the piston. that was pretty cool till they ask me how i extacted the last set of glow plugs. so i told them the same way the 3 before me did!
after that i learned the fine art of brake and fish with forceps after
removing the injector!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car