lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Zommer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question Video tutorial on engine swap?

So I need to swap the engine on my 1986 club car ds, I was wondering if anyone had any "tricks" on how to do it. I know that I may have to take the body off, but I saw that where the engine sits, there is a "mount" and I was wondering if I would be able to drop the engine out through there, any help is great, thanks guys 😄👍
Zommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Video tutorial on engine swap?

I think dropping the motor out through the bottom would be a huge pain, more so than just taking it out up top. Taking the body off is not hard, and you'll hate trying to work around it if you leave it on. The KF82 motor is not super heavy. I'm just a 37-year old guy in average shape and I yanked my motor out by myself and put it up on the workbench. Just make sure you take the starter/generator off before you lift it to make it slightly easier.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Zommer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ok, thanks, I'll keep ya posted
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

What are you swapping in for it or what's wrong with it?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Everything is very accessible with the body off. I'm replacing the body on my '89 DS and stripped it down last weekend. I think there were only 4 bolts dedicated exclusively to securing the body. Two under the bag well pads and two at the front of the body. The seat backs are are bolted through the body so they will need to come off. My rear seat comes off with 4 bolts. The canopy comes off easily also.

The most difficulty I had was getting the shift lever off. It was corroded on. I had to use a gear puller to remove it.
RudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
Autobear
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I too, am re-powering an 86 DS, and agree with all the previous posts. Taking the body off is the way to go and it is not that hard. The two bolts (they have Phillips screw heads) at the front and the shifter were the most challenging. I have almost two decades on Sprinbok, and was able to lift off both the body and the motor with no problem by myself. And unless you are a master fabricator with all the tools and materials laying around, go with one of the install kits that are available. It will save you lots of time and grief, and you will have someone you can talk to if you do run into issues. I am installing a Briggs & Stratton 25T237-0045-F1, and have found the clone engine mount, exhaust, and air cleaner set up for the single cylinder motors to have been very helpful. I hope to start posting pictures this weekend.
Autobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Zommer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
What are you swapping in for it or what's wrong with it?
The reason I am swapping the ENTIRE drivetrain is because the transmission is cracked, the motor burns oil badly, and for a lack of a bitter term, I think the engine is either pinging really bad, or skipping. I am just swapping it with the same type, so,e sort of flathead, I forgot the name.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car