lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #71
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: First Start After Maintenance

you need to get a spark tester and when it quits running you test it at the plug wire where it plugs onto sparkplug and crank engine over see if cart is sparking........you should see like little lightnig bolts........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #72
Ningker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Disconnected the rev limiter ground wire today. As always, even before the disconnect, cart starts right off when it is cold. Thought it was fine so took in down the hill from my house and sure enough died in less than a minute.
Immediately tested for spark with the brand new plug to the muffler heal shield and nothing. Would this be an appropriate place to test for spark?

Anyways, pushed the cart back up to the house. Reconnected the rev limiter just to check and still no spark. Let it sit to cool down for about two hours and still no spark. Keep in mind I am still just trying to see if it sparks to the heat shield mounts.
Just in case, plugged her to the spark plug in the cart and still nothing.

SO......... from what I think I read it could either be the igniter OR the coil....
Is this right????

If so, how would I test which one and then, is this something that I can do or do I need to get it to the dealer for expert tinkering?
Ningker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #73
fastercarter
Gone Wild

2000 model year will be a combination coil/igniter system. It's under the flywheel shroud. Remove the muffler, remove the bolts from the shroud except the rear one, just loosen it a couple of turns (Shroud is slotted at that point) manouver the shroud out and the coil will be plainly visible. Replace it and use a business card to set the air gap between it and the flywheel. Rotate the motor to make sure it doesn't rub anywhere then reassemble. One hour start to finish for your first go should see the job done.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #74
Ningker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry Double post.

Last edited by Ningker; 02-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #75
Ningker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

double post

Last edited by Ningker; 02-27-2012 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #76
Ningker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok. Went to buy the coil/igniter and the CC rep asked how I knew that is what I needed. Asked if I checked the Rev Limiter. I told them the situation and the so called "ruling out of the rev limiter by disconnecting it", but they told me that my issues might still be the rev limiter.

They didn't want me to buy the more expensive coil/igniter first before I am absolutely sure it is not the cheaper and easier to replace rev limiter.

SO, does disconnecting the rev limiter(and the cart still being inoperable due to low to no spark) absolutely point to the coil/igniter.

I assume that both may be bad and I might need to change the rev limiter as well, but based on the above, is the coil/igniter at least one of the problems with the rev limiter disconnected.

Again, cc rep is saying that it is still a part of the circuit and may be the culprit in this all. Advises to replace or try out the rev limiter first as the c/i are more durable and tend to last a long time.

HELP before buying PLEASE..............
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #77
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm not a CC certified repair guy but tons of people on here disconnect the rev limiter. I chucked the one from my friends '04 DS over my shoulder and installed a tach. Seams to me that a bad part and a missing part operate the same. I'd still be thinking it was the coil. Might also be worth digging through these pages and find the thread about installing an HEI module and coil. They are much much cheaper then the stock CC parts and better, stronger, hotter spark for better cold starting and crisper throttle response. Think one guy on here said it was like $45 for both parts from a local parts store and it made a huge difference. My wifes CC is getting that treatment later this year. Just waiting for other parts on that project.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #78
Ningker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will try and find it as that is something I might consider......
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #79
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here's a start

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...onversion.html

That is for EZGO so you couldn't use the wiring diagram to a T but it will give you an idea of why people do it and the bennifits.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #80
Ningker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cart runs..... Coil/igniter was replaced and she runs really good. Left the rev limiter in place as the younger kiddos maybe getting on her as well.
FINALLY was able to ride her for as long as we wanted.

THANKS TO ALL>>>>>>>>>>>>
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car