lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
bkmorgan50
Not Yet Wild

Default Bought used 2008 Yamaha - have questions!

Just bought my first golf cart - 2008 Yamaha. Model on sticker is YDRE. Serial number (I think) on sticker under driver's side of seat towards rear is JW2-F4236-20. None of the SN listings I can find on line show an F in the SN. Is that the SN, or am I looking at the wrong thing? What model do I have?

Also - I'm not sure the charger is working. Can I just test voltage pin to pin? What should they be?

And last - looking at putting a light kit on. Can I get away with the $20 reducers, or do I really need the $100+ models? Best place to buy? Best place for an LED light kit would be appreciated too.
Thanks!
Brian in Michigan
bkmorgan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bought used 2008 Yamaha - have questions!

On my 2007 ydre model there is a sticker with the "F" no. under driverside seat, another is on the framerail near the solenoid ( s. pictures ), JW2-****** (6-digit).
The cheap (10amp, eBay/Amazon) reducer should work with a led light kit also. When messuring the charger output, you should see ~ 53v, probably only when it's connected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210613_215311.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210613_215402.jpg (102.0 KB, 0 views)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You can tell if the charger is working by watching the little lights and measuring the battery voltage while charging. It should be rising right away as the charger kicks in. If you have a DVM, put it on the pack voltage and hook up the charger.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The number that you gave is the part number for the rear body. Your serial number is on the vertical post as shown in ojo's first picture
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Which charger do you have?
If it is the original 2008 Yamaha charger it could easily be dead.
You cant measure output unless the charger is on and charging.
What is the battery pack voltage?
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The stock Yamaha chargers do fail fairly often but if you do what I suggested, you can see if it's charging. I have repaired a couple of these chargers. It's almost always the large electrolytic caps that overheat and fail. You can tell because they are bulged and leaking.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It seems, he has no questions anymore
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:11 AM   #8
bkmorgan50
Not Yet Wild

My charger is a Yamaha 48 Volt Charger, Model: JW2-H2107-01. It's charging (?) 4 12V Trojan batteries - didn't get the model of the batteries.

BTW - per the SN, I have a 2009, not 2008. And I guess the model is actually YDREG (SN is JW2-203xxx).

I checked the total voltage of the batteries, it comes in at 48.1V. When I hook up the charger (switch in Tow position) The lights show power and charging on, then I hear a relay, then all the lights flash, relay click, the power and charging on, etc. Is my charger toast?

For the short term, could I charge the batteries individually with a 12V charger? If so, do I have to disconnect them from the battery series connections?

Thanks!!!!
bkmorgan50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, light kits, serial number, voltage reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha