lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Default 1990 Club Cars brakes

OK,
Here is my How To for brakes on a 1990 Club Car.
First loosen lugnuts up then jack cart up and place on jack stands...safety first alway's.
Take the wheel off.

Now start by taking the cotter key and pin out of the brake arm on backside of assembly. Set them a side you will reuse everything you take apart except for the (shoes) or something you find wrong with any part.

Look at the top of the assembly and look for the rubber boot if it still has it. If it does take it off and loosen the stud all the way up.

Now look at the shoes to remember which way they go.

Take the two clips loose in the center of the assembly front & back of shoes. Remove the springs and shoes.

Take the two wedges out and clean the housing and both wedges. They just slid out just remember how they came out.
Clean everything good before replacing the wedges.

Now spray the rest of the assembly with brake cleaner and clean everything really good. Notice the sides have scrap markings on them. These area's will have to be lubed on reassembly.

This slider needs to be free to move. I have the arm removed so I could clean it. You need to lube it and reinstall it as it came out. Remember how it goes.
This is what makes the shoes press against the hub to stop the cart. Make sure you have it right or you may not stop at all.

Now after everything is cleaned, relube all the peices and assembly where you see wear. Passing this step will only cause the shoes to wear quicker and may stick on you not letting the shoes return to their proper places when not engaged.

Now just reinstall everything as it should be. This is how they should look after you are done.

Now that this part is done we can move to the shoe adjustments. Remember the stud you backed out under the rubber boot. Turn it until you feel some scrubbing on the hub as you slide it on. Replace the boot and your done.
Now up under the cart at the pedal loosen the brake cables up to make the connections in back. This is done by loosening the 1/2" nut's that hold the brake assembly tight on the threaded rod.
Put the cable back in it's saddle with the c-clip and hook the cable back up to the brake arm with the pin and cotter key. Make sure the arm is set back as far as it will go when doing this. Check the arm movement also pushing it forward and seeing that it returns back when you let go of it. Try turning the hub also. It shouldn't turn. If this is all good then procced.
Move to the cables at the pedal. 1/2" wrench and tighten the nut until you can set the hill brake. Don't over do this are the brakes will scrub and you loose some speed. Do it just enough to keep the cart from rolling.
Now put the wheels back on and try it out on the stands. See how the pedal feels. If OK then set it on the ground and your done. If not adjust the cable under the floor til it feels good to you.

I hope this helps everyone out who needs there brakes redone.
If you have the owner's manual it will help a lot also.
I take no responsablity for any problems you incounter while performing this procedure.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 Club Cars brakes

Nice job and tutorial, Andy!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

I just hope it helps out some one who has thought of doing there brakes. Thanks.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yep, brake jobs are a simple project for a novice mechanic. I was never allowed to disassemble both sides at once, so I could always go around the car and see how it was supposed to be! Lol! I spent my first few jobs runnin' around the car....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Andy,

GREAT post!
But, I have to add one thing...

The slider... clean and lube it so it slides freely,

But, Do not... repeat... DO NOT remove the slider from the back plate!!!

It has a factory flared end bolt that screws up the threads on the bolt and the nut when removed!

I did it on one side of my '98 electric, and ended up customizing a new, longer bolt, and nylon lock nut to work!
(My CC dealer would have had to special order a replacement!)

and, Scotty...
After all the brakes I've done in my life... I STILL only do one side at a time,
and use the other side for comparison!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: 1990 Club Cars brakes

This would be a great Sticky don't you think?

2 cents...
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Would be a good sticky so easy to find.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
meyerz2
Not Yet Wild

Am I correct in interpreting the how to mean that when you hook the cables back up, the bottom slide bracket should be back as far as you can get it?

When I do this, the brakes work great the first time but then the slide moves back forward and they are crap again.
meyerz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

as many brake jobs that i do i still do 1 side at a time..........dosn,t take much longer and gives you a chance to see if someone was in there and did something wrong which i ffind quite often.......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Waldog
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Is this the same as 81 and up Club Car?
Waldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car