lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
TWOOIL1993
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger question

Hello again, I have a 2001 C/C DS 48v and a 2005 C/C Precedent 48v can I use the same charger from my Precedent and use it on my 01 C/C? The reason I'm asking the charger for my 01 will not turn off it ran for 17hr and you can hear the batteries bubbling a lot more then in the past it has never ran this long b4 so I unplugged it. I Wanted to try the other charger and see if it will turn off to determine if the charger is bad. Also can the OBC not make the charger turn off?...Any help would be great...
TWOOIL1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger question

Yes, the charger from either cart will work on the other cart, however, I think your problem is in the cart not the charger. Try plugging in the charger tha didn't shut down into the other cart. Let it charge overnight and see if it shuts down now.

Off the top of my head I am thinking either old weak batteries or a bad OBC, and I am leaning towards a bad OBC.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Wait until the ammeter gets below 5 amps and check the pack voltage. If you're not seeing at least 58.3, this is why your charger isn't turning off. It MUST reach this voltage for the OBC to turn off the charger.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Darn OBCs David, Rabbit, Was the obc a bad idea or what?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Darn OBCs David, Rabbit, Was the obc a bad idea or what?
I hear ya... When they're not working right it can definitely be a headache... Not to mention there's so many different models now, we even have models that differ according to what brand batteries you have. It's a nightmare. But they claim it offers a better charge than a conventional automatic timer in a charger... Who knows... I do however like the other features the OBC offers as far as diagnosis goes and tracking total vehicle usage.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Excuse me, I have never heard of everybody thinking its always the OBC acting up or the charger.Most of the time its the batteries from neglect acting up.Why does everyone think its the OBC or the charger?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Only the dealer has the readers to extract that info. THe average end user, Joe, doesn't have access to that info ... Besides it may be a better charge as they say but, are they really outlasting Ezgo's and Yamaha's battery pack useful life with the obc as opposed to conventional smart chargers?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I dont know about that,but I have a pallet full of 48 volt yamaha chargers and replace a lot of boards on ezgo chargers.But I guess they all have their faults.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you, I'll take an E-Z-GO powerwise2 or a Delta Q charger system anyday over the split charger setup of the Club Car. No offense to anyone that works for Club Car, but in my humble opinion, that was the absolute worst idea they ever came up with. I'd rather pay $100 for a new board for an E-Z-GO charger than the $200-$300 for a new OBC anyday.......

As for tracking the charge cycles, the new RXV's are fully capable of doing that through the handheld diagnostic tool even more efficently than the (somewhat unreliable) system that Club Car uses with it's infrared system.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Thank you, I'll take an E-Z-GO powerwise2 or a Delta Q charger system anyday over the split charger setup of the Club Car. No offense to anyone that works for Club Car, but in my humble opinion, that was the absolute worst idea they ever came up with. I'd rather pay $100 for a new board for an E-Z-GO charger than the $200-$300 for a new OBC anyday.......

As for tracking the charge cycles, the new RXV's are fully capable of doing that through the handheld diagnostic tool even more efficently than the (somewhat unreliable) system that Club Car uses with it's infrared system.
As u could tell from the tone of my question this is more along the line of the answer I was looking for My opinion is the same, I really think they should not have separated the charger and the control board... But alas... IT is what it is now, boyz ~ water under the bridge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car