lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #41
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Yet Another G9 build!

I had the same issue with the carb but my airbox was different. We made a flat cover for it that sat about where the filter was (just a foam pad) and then it was about half as thick. Managed to holesaw and screw a 1.25 pipe nipple into the side of it, weld it to the plate inside, then used a conduit nut on the outside of it. Then screwed a PVC 1.25 to 2" coupler and "U"ed with two street Ls up over the top of the motor.

Have to say I'd rather put an elbow intake on it or something when I do my cart, I don't really like to cut it that close. We have .25 inch clearance to the shock if that. Have to take the top of the shocks loose and drop the rear to get at the carb. What I would like is a corkscrew intake and the carb face forward about right on top of where it is stock, tall enough you can get the bowl off easily and run the air intake hose straight forward over the red shroud.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #42
jigwelder
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Way too much time to spend on a golf cart but it should be pretty fun when its done. Since my camber is a bit out I am going to cut a section out of the cross bar connecting the two lower frame tubes. This will correct the alignment and allow for another 2 inches of lift in the front end because the ball joints won't be bottoming out. With that said I have to cut off the front shock hoop assembly and drop it down to get that 2 inches. Lesson #1 always tack weld until you are sure.

Have had a set of stainless headers sitting on the bench for a month ready to be installed on my Ford Expedition. Shop is a mess and I want to finish this Golf Cart before I tear into something new.
jigwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #43
jigwelder
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

SHO...Looks like a good idea but I need more clearance than that because of the articulation obtained by the 3 link setup. Hopefully this will be enough. Also I still need to fab up some plates and brackets for the starter/generator so if you have any more pictures of your setup I'd like to see them...please!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #44
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

This is all I have I think...

The stock rear and front engine mounts are used. The 2x3/8 bar is welded to the 1.25 tubing and rear mount at an angle, because it looked to screw up the rubber mounts if the stock plates/mounts didn't angle at the same height as stock, which I think is level in a non-lifted cart, or close to it. The stock block does have the front or rear bolt holes higher I forget what one is, maybe .5" difference or something. The bars go on top of the rear mount and the tube is under the bolt holes of the front mount. Rear mount too narrow had to add that angle on the end. You can see the nut from the stock engine and sort of the hole on the other end. We clamped it up and mocked the engine in there, tacked it, took engine out and welded it, mocked it up again and marked the holes, there are no slots but it seems to be working well. We ran out of nyloc nuts.

We found a generator bracket off an old lawnmower, similar to an old v8 chevy one. I welded a tab on the end and bolted it to the block, in the photo it fell down its not bolted on the block yet, it also needed an offset in it. You can see a little of it behind the airfilter box. Otherwise its all stock yamaha stuff.

It does not use any cart wiring, we removed the ignitor and coil, unplugged them. I'm going to put a relay on the ignition of the engine to have the pedal stop grounding it when running, not had time to dig a relay out think I have one. For now we just turned the idle speed to nothing and it kills. If I do that I might make it so I can disable it, as the key still works on this if you want to use the engine's starter. Got the starter because future plans might change or motor might end up elsewhere who knows and it was only like <$40 more to get the electric start or so.

Articulation, no doubt this one does not do that. I been thinking where I can get a bent pipe in just over 1" size, not sure yet, would be a tight bend. Some of the kart guys use a radiator hose with the wire inside, but not really wanting to do that here.

Now I just have to figure out how to make this engine rev more, it needs a cam or something. I would advance the timing before you install it that might help a little. Parts are not cheap of course so I'm trying to figure out what to do to mine before it gets bolted in. Oh yeah, obviously we were welding much faster than you do lol! Half the time I don't use a helmet for this kind of stuff just turn away and weld it blind, got too used to doing that at a job I once had. The cold air system and GM airbox were my idea, it is piped with 2" PVC to the front of the cart. Actually the cavilier airbox 'looked about right', the guy only charged us $10 for it and the hose plus a duct that came with...long as we stripped it off the car. Didn't use the duct, and I welded a muffler clamp under the floor to hold the pipe up.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #45
jigwelder
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Time to let the chips fly for a billet aluminum Generator/Starter mount. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #46
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its just a flat plate that sits on the mounts, has a tube on the top that fits the ears on the generator. That one ear you can see bolted under the pulley, it broke on the stock cart we welded more steel on it there. The plate goes back to the front engine bolts, the engine holds the plate straight.

BTW the stock rubber mounts seem to be fine so far, it does not vibrate at all, not any more than the stock engine did.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #47
jigwelder
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Welded up another Clone Engine Mount for a buddy. He is putting the 16hp Clone on an old HD Sportster chases with a CVTech setup.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #48
oddpowers
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey jig, any updates on this, or did I miss the finish some where. Cool build i'd like to see it all...
oddpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #49
jigwelder
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Ok, it is about time to get back started on this project. Would say that the winter was an issue but I live here in Florida. Really just needed to get my Shop cleaned up because I was tired of tripping over stuff all the time. With that said I will get some pictures here soon of the progress. The "manifold" I made for the air shocks was a complete disaster. Probably had 40 NPT joints in it. I ended up going with a paddle valve/dual gauge setup used in cars with airbags.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #50
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

This is an awesome build jig. I am really looking forward to seeing more. Great work.
yamahag9er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 link, atv front, briggs, clone, g9 yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha