lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
BLWN BUX
Not Yet Wild

Default What is best, Series or SepEx?

Hi,
Still using my original config. 91 CC ,72V stock motor W/Vglide and coils.Stock F/R switch.

My Wife is driving the cart all over now so I will need to get a new controller. I don't want to risk the V-Glide sticking and sombody getting hurt.

My cart does about 28 on GPS with 22" and stock gears.

I would like it to top out at about 40MPH with 2 people (300#total passengers).

I also live in a VERY hilly and thought there would be a great benifit to doing a full change to Sepex.

Is the Sepex combo the only configuration that will give you off throttle breaking/charging?

It allso appears that Sepex does F/R in the controller. This would mean I wouldn't have to worry about burning the Mechanical F/R I have now right?

What Motor, Controller, gears would you guys recomend?
How do you calc. the controller size needed? Is 400A @72V the same as 800A at 36V? Some of my hills are about 1/4 mile long and could take a minut or so at some heavy load on a controller.

I have Sean Curtis-Kelly 400A Controllers for about $400.
I have a 72-12V Converter so having a 12V supply is no problem.
It appears that the Kelly series is much cheaper bur requires 12V sig.

Many say Altrax is their preferance, but they are allmost 2X the cost.
I would rather put the Extra cash twards a motor upgrade.

What would you guys buy for a combo and why?

Thanks for the read

Chad
BLWN BUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is best, Series or SepEx?

Don't forget brakes! Standard golf cart brakes are not going to come close to stopping this thing with the weight of batteries and 2 adults doing 40 mph on the flat let alone 'on a good hill' ! Good Luck! Stay Safe.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
BLWN BUX
Not Yet Wild

Good point:-)
Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

One thing is for sure, if you want to go that fast and maintain any amount of useable torque you are gonna need some good components. Staying at 72 VDC will make reaching that goal much easier. Keep this in mind, higher voltage is more efficiant.(up to a point) IMO, Running a 72 volt 400 amp alltrax on a stock motor is about the same as running a 36 volt 650 amp alltrax on a high speed motor.....but one important , often overlooked fact, you will consume less battery power with 72 volts but you still received the same level of power. Hopefully Nate will see this topic and chime in. He knows alot more about the high voltage stuff, I'm simply using my past experiance.

It seems to me the cheapest way out will be to get a 72 volt Alltrax, pot box and re-configure the system for solid state. That still won't get you 40 MPH though so you will need a motor too....and some real good 4 gauge cables. A 2 speed EMP motor might work good....keep the torque for those hills and then flip the switch for speed. You can also use a reversing contactor to make the Torque/Speed switch instead of a F/R handle. The only problem I see is getting EMP to design a motor for a "72 volt system". Although if you tell them its a "48 volt system" I'm sure it will do the job just fine on 72 volts.

D&D Motor Systems makes a good combo too. Not sure about their prices though. They might be able to build you a package but I'm sure it will cost $$$.

I'm all for a Series over SEPEX. I think the industry needs to make some more headway in the power and price department before I'll jump on the SEPEX bandwagon.

I would keep the stock gears for now. I think they are somewhere around 12:1. A Lower ratio gear set will cause everything to work harder and use more power. (lower run time) You wanna keep the motor rpm's up. No doubt you will gain some speed with a gear swap but your gonna loose torque doing it.

Yea, your gonna needs some better brakes.....or a chute. LOL!
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
BLWN BUX
Not Yet Wild

Isant Sepex the only set-up that will regen?

Also,

Are the regen controlers programable to how hard they will brake?
Old 05-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Yes, they are the only one that will regen.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!