lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Cliffbeach491
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2003 EZGO motor & controller swap on a 87 Marathon

Hi. i was hoping someone can help me out with this one.
Used EZGO Golf Cart motor and EZGO controller; removed from a 2003 golf cart after it was lifted and converted for hunting;

36 volt; Motor rating AU 2500; Flt Spd 11/27/00.

Controller - Curtis PMC - Part Number 25864G05; Serial Number 0325-P063979

Can i convert my 87 Marathon to work with this motor and controller set up? i can get them both for $225.will it bolt into the axle since this sounds like its a more powerful motor than the stock one? Or just use the controller with the stock motor? I figure i can get more power to tackle the hills at the campground and save some drain and stress on the batteries. any tips or advice would be great. thanks
Cliffbeach491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 EZGO motor & controller swap on a 87 Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffbeach491 View Post
.......................I figure i can get more power to tackle the hills at the campground and save some drain and stress on the batteries. any tips or advice would be great...........
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but "more power to tackle hills" and "saving stress and drain on the batteries" are mutually exclusive.
Having more power will increase stress on batteries and drain them faster.

If your 87 Marathon is a Controller cart rather than a Resistor cart and the 2003 is a Series cart rather than a PDS cart, your will it work question becomes will the 2003 motor fit on an 87 differential.
I do not know, so somebody else will have to answer that.
I also don't know if the 2003 series wound motor is any more powerful that the 87 series wound motor.
Might have about same ratings. So might the controller.

What I do know is that the motor and controller are only two links of the six link chain that makes up a series wound motor drive system. Those being:
1. Battery Pack
2. High Current Cables.
3. F/R Switch
4. Solenoid
5. Controller
6. Motor

Basically the motor will suck down every Amp the battery pack can pump out, and then some, but the 4 links of the chain between the two, limit the number of Amps available for the motor to turn into Torque (and Heat).

The entire drive system is only as good as the weakest link, so upgrading just the motor and controller may not increase performance as much as you might expect it to, if at all. If the 2003 motor is capable of using more Amps and the 2003 Controller is capable of allowing more Amps to be passed to the motor, some improvement may occur, but the full potential will still be limited by the 87's cables, F/R Switch and Solenoid even if the current battery pack is capable of meeting the higher demands.

Here's a wiring diagram of a generic drive system using a series wound motor. (For clarity, Safety interlocks, Throttle and other low current circuits, not shown.)
As you see, the total drive current passes through all six links of the chain equally, so any weakness in any of them effects the entire system.

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IN addition to what JB posted, consider this:
The controller you have in mind was engineered for a lighter cart on a groomed cart path in a country club.
It is not the correct choice for this project.
But you have the right idea.
The correct controller package can help the cart climb hills and save fuel at low speeds.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Cliffbeach491
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi, i forgot to mention it is a resistor based cart. From some of the posts i have read these type of carts are not very efficient when it comes to battery/amps power use. Can overheat and cause a fire if parked in a high grass area to name a few. so i figure for the cheap price of this motor/controller combo upgrading it to a controller box and matching motor would make it safer and make better use of the battery power. does anyone know what controller to look for that would work in an area with some some light to moderate steep hills. I plan on using it to get around the campgrounds that sits on 145 acers. thanks
Cliffbeach491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Look here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Scotty...rsion_Kit.html
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, motor, swap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO