lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
5string
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Adjusting Govenor on 1999 DS

Hello everyone, I am new here. I just bought my first golf cart last week (1999 DS, gas). I have started to order accessories and would like to increase the speed but not enough to damage the engine (5 -10km/hr) - can this be done safely? Also, any tips for maintenance would be great. Is 91 octane and full synthetic oil a good idea?

Cheers eh!
5string is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
5string
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Adjusting Govenor on 1999 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string View Post
Hello everyone, I am new here. I just bought my first golf cart last week (1999 DS, gas). I have started to order accessories and would like to increase the speed but not enough to damage the engine (5 -10km/hr) - can this be done safely? Also, any tips for maintenance would be great. Is 91 octane and full synthetic oil a good idea?

Cheers eh!
What type of oil does a 1999 club car use - 10w-30 or 10w-40?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Since you plan to increase speed, one of the first accessories you should get is a tachometer. I have a digital "tiny tach", which is a digital tach / hour meter. I regret not going for a higher quality analog gauge. The tiny tach readout can be hard to read, and there's a significant delay when the RPM changes. It's nice to have the hour meter though, so maybe someday I'll use both.

The two most common methods for increasing the speed are loosening & lubricating the governor's grip on the "pivot post", and using zip-ties on the governor spring. The latter is better for adjusting, the former bettter for defeating. There are many threads about the details of each.

When I first defeated the governor on my cart, I gained barely 10% more speed because my clutches were worn, which results in a low drive ratio condition. I still have my RPM limiter enabled, so at 4000 RPM, I was still only going about 13 mph (20 km/h).

Check the condition of your drive clutch by putting your cart into maintence mode and revving the engine. If the outside of the belt doesn't reach the top of the clutch surfaces, the clutch needs to be removed and rebuilt for the cart to reach optimum speed.

With stock tires, rev-limiter enabled, 2 good clutches and no governor, my cart reaches a speed of 22 mph (35 km/h) revving at just over 4,000. At about 4,100 rpm, my limiter shuts off the spark. I avoid that, so my typical cruising speed is around 17 mph (27 km/h).

I use fully synthetic oil and change it every year. I use regular fuel, but I add my favorite additive, SeaFoam, to each tank.
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
5string
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply! I just don't know what I am looking at when I open the plastic cover where the throttle is located (starter and fuses). Also, I don't know how to access the "maintainence" mode - any additional help would be great (pics). I want to keep the RPM limiter enabled for safety reasons I only want to get a little more out of the cart to compensate for the accessories I will be adding (rear seating) and four people so 20km/hr would be good.

On the weekend I changed the plug, air, fuel & oil filter along with oil (Mobil 1 full syn 10-30) as well as tightened the gen belt (loose). I have ordered replacement belts cause these look to be originals (very cracked). I am intalling a momentary switch to use the stock buzzer as a "horn" since its there and I disconnected it from the reverse position (that was annoying). I have a light kit (and seating) to install this week along with a few other additions.

Cheers eh!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
johnquick302
Not Yet Wild

How do u rebuild clutch. I put mine in neutral and revved it and belt is about half in from the edge of the clutch. Is this something you can do or does a shop need too
johnquick302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

On our CC I by passed the governor by loosening the nut and spraying wd40 on it. Went from 16-21mph. Haven't done anything else.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Here's a thread on maintenance mode with pics:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ence-mode.html
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string View Post
I want to keep the RPM limiter enabled for safety reasons I only want to get a little more out of the cart to compensate for the accessories I will be adding (rear seating) and four people so 20km/hr would be good.
Keep in mind that a governor doesn't limit the throttle until the cart reaches a designated speed.

If your engine, belt, and clutches are in good condition, a loaded (but not overloaded) cart will still reach the max governed speed - it will just take longer to do so.

So in other words, adjusting the governor won't add power or increase acceleration.

re: rear seat addition. Investigate "helper springs" for your rear suspension. When I added my rear seat, I replaced my stock springs with "heavy duty", which were expensive, a pain to install and ruined the ride.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car