lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
beckyrachel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Slowing down - yes slowing down a Club Car DS

Against the grain here, as most people want to make their golf buggies go faster.

We allow everyone to drive our buggies, everyone over 14 - but some people are less careful than others and a few years ago someone was run over by a buggy.

The new buggy is noticeably faster than the original one and needs slowing down. I have half a workshop manual for this, and you guessed it the half I have doesn't cover anything on the rev limiter.

I've seen descriptions of uncoupling or adding springs to change the rev limiter.
I'm guessing it works like an air regulated speed controller in a mower.

So, what do I have to do to slow the thing down just that few mph?

Can I change the rev limiter setting?
Should I just put something on the throttle cable somewhere to limit movement?
Is there a pedal movement limiter I didn't notice? Not really looked at the pedal area that much yet.

Rebecca
beckyrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Slowing down - yes slowing down a Club Car DS

What year Club Car do you have?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Check the thread link below. I did this a week or so ago to add a bit of speed to my cart by lengthening the rod that goes from the gas pedal to the solenoid box.

I'm sure you could do the same thing in reverse and make the same rod shorter, thereby slowing down your cart:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...djustment.html
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

Rebecca,

Your DS has two distinct and different mechanisms that impact top speed: The Rev Limiter, and the Governor.

The Rev Limiter cuts off the spark at a fixed point. It resides in the black box that's next to the air filter assembly. My tach reads between 4,100 & 4,200 RPM when the limiter kicks in. Maybe someone with broader experience could tell us if that varies from cart to cart, but that seems to be typical. The limiter cannot be adjusted, but it can be defeated by removing it's ground strap.

The governor is a completely different animal. It's primary component is a pivoting arm mounted to spinning post on the top of your gearcase. It can be adjusted or defeated in a variety of ways, all of which are discussed in-length here on BGW. A common way to defeat the governor is by lubricating and loosening the governor's grip on the post. Common adjustment methods include extending the pedal rod and placing a zip-tie on the spring at the governor arm.

The most simple steps to re-estblish the governor function would be to look for ties on the spring, or evidence that the nut attaching the arm to the post has been tampered with. If you don't detect anything at the governor, then inspect the pedal linkage rod.
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Don't forget the age old wood block secured to the floor under the gas peddle ..... works every time.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limiter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car