lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Waverider969
Gone Wild

Default Jakes 6" A-Arm install adventure

Ok so I got my Jakes lift kit in the mail today. Finally after waiting two weeks. I already had my back springs half way off so I figured I'd start rear end first since I only had a couple hours this evening. Well as soon as I got into it I realized the parts that mounts to the U-bolt looks nothing like what's in the instructions. The riser block was a bit cruder then what was pictured as well. Panic set in that they sent me the wrong kit. I called jakes and got sent to voice mail. More Panic kicked in knowing the weekend could be lost with no lift install. Well I called back and asked for another person since Glen was gone for day. She quickly realized they sent the wrong instructions. The pieces I expect to see we're In the more heavy duty kit where I got the slightly cheaper version. No one ever told me they have two versions of same kit. She sent me new instructions via email.
One problem from start the instructions offer very few photos and descriptions of steps are not easy to follow. So I started taking things apart and tring to put things together. They required completely un bolting both sides of the springs leaving the motor and rear axel flopping around and requiring various forms of support as I struggled putting each side through the U bolt and parts.
Finished both sides by dark or just past it.

So here is my first question is this normal to have the U-bolt to go over the bolt that holds the leaf springs? Also why is one side slanted over the other side and I did tightened both sides as much as I could equally. Not sure if this looks right. See below
Pass side

Driver side

Top view:
Waverider969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Rics68
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Jakes 6" A-Arm install adventure

I'm not a expert on golf cart lifts but have done many lifts on jeeps. I would just have cut the threads off or turned the bolt around, that is if the nut would have fit in the spring perch,
Rics68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Waverider969
Gone Wild

I'm starting to think maybe I should flip the U Bolt upside down. Wonder if there is a con to doing that.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Did u add a leaf to your spring. Normally the head of the bolt sits on top and rests inside the new bracket. That's why it's not sitting flush like it should
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Waverider969
Gone Wild

Yup I did add that add-a-leaf on bottom for more support. I think that's the reason it sticks the bolt out. Can the thing shift on a bump off that bolt? Maybe tomorrow ill flip the U bolt. Agh more time lost.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Can you not just flip the bolt so the head is on top?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Waverider969
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
Can you not just flip the bolt so the head is on top?
Are you referring to the bolt holding the leaf springs? Yes I can but then it will make for harder tighting or untighting since the other side has an Allen hex style round head. Ill have to give it some though perhaps if I'm ok loosing the easy access to the bolt for future leaf spring upgrades then I can flip it. How about flipping the u bolt any cons to that?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Just replace the Allen head with a hex head bolt that will fit inside the hole on the bracket. Not sure about flipping the u bolt, I have never done it or seen it done. Other option would be to buy a set of hd springs and they will come like you need them. Or take a Dremel and cut off wheel to the bolt flush with the nut....
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
arcedout
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had this happen also but caught it b4 I did the other side, I would flip the center bolt and not the u bolt, I'm no expert just my 2 cents thats what I did... plus I've dissasembled the rear several times since having the cart and now feel like I can do it in my sleep lol, so it gets easier each time, now that I'm thinking bout it I'm gonna go drop the rear end again
arcedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
arcedout
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hate too say this but you shoulda went with the allsport lift I've had the Jakes spindle and sent it back quick! After seeing both products and I know its not apples to apples between a spindle kit and a Aarm kit but I think allsport is better quality, with jakes I think your just buying the name
arcedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts