lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Shugs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Options to increase weight capacity for '86 Marathon

Hi folks,

I'm working with a local (Oakland, CA) designer/welder to turn an '86 Marathon into a dragon-themed art car for this year's Burning Man. I bought the cart used a couple of years ago and, as far as I know, it still has the stock suspension, etc.. I've attached a photo for reference (work is still in early stage at this point)

Given that we're likely to add something like 300-350 pounds of additional weight to the cart (including a Honda eu2000i generator used to power some lights, powered speakers/PA, etc.), what are my best options to make sure it doesn't sink to the ground (I don't care if it's stiff/rough ride, just that it will move!)?

Just new/stronger springs?
Shocks?
Bigger tires (does that require lifting it first?)?
A "lift kit" (what all does that include anyway?)?

Here's a bit more info that might be useful:
- it's *totally* flat out there (other than some small mounds of sand)
- the surface, while flat, varies from hard/"road like" to soft, sandy patches
- the *top* speed limit is 5 mph (i.e., a slow crawl)
- much of THISnew weight will be centered higher up (e.g., the head, body, wings and tail will be "above" you when you're driving the cart)
- the legs will extend down the sides from the roof to about 3-4" off the ground and will also have smaller wheels on the bottom serving as sort of "outriggers" in the event of any swaying

Finally, once I figure out what all I need to order (hopefully very soon!)...
- How hard is it to install this kind of stuff?
- What kinds of places should be able to do that kind of work if I don't do it myself (i.e., only "golf cart" shops?)?
- Anybody have any recommendations for shops for installation here in the San Francisco Bay Area?
- Anything else I should be worried about? I.e., is my poor little 2-stroke engine going to die trying to do this?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Feel free to tell me how dumb and or crazy I am as well...

-Shugs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86 EZGO Marathon with welded frame.JPG (380.4 KB, 0 views)
Shugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Options to increase weight capacity for '86 Marathon

wow !!! please post pics when done
yea i'd go with a lift (4~6") and bigger tires that you can deflate a little for the sand
lift is fairly simple stock Vehicle load capacity is 800lbs but i would add hd springs front and rear
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Magras
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugs View Post
Hi folks,

I'm working with a local (Oakland, CA) designer/welder to turn an '86 Marathon into a dragon-themed art car for this year's Burning Man. I bought the cart used a couple of years ago and, as far as I know, it still has the stock suspension, etc.. I've attached a photo for reference (work is still in early stage at this point)

Given that we're likely to add something like 300-350 pounds of additional weight to the cart (including a Honda eu2000i generator used to power some lights, powered speakers/PA, etc.), what are my best options to make sure it doesn't sink to the ground (I don't care if it's stiff/rough ride, just that it will move!)?

Just new/stronger springs?
Shocks?
Bigger tires (does that require lifting it first?)?
A "lift kit" (what all does that include anyway?)?

Here's a bit more info that might be useful:
- it's *totally* flat out there (other than some small mounds of sand)
- the surface, while flat, varies from hard/"road like" to soft, sandy patches
- the *top* speed limit is 5 mph (i.e., a slow crawl)
- much of THISnew weight will be centered higher up (e.g., the head, body, wings and tail will be "above" you when you're driving the cart)
- the legs will extend down the sides from the roof to about 3-4" off the ground and will also have smaller wheels on the bottom serving as sort of "outriggers" in the event of any swaying

Finally, once I figure out what all I need to order (hopefully very soon!)...
- How hard is it to install this kind of stuff?
- What kinds of places should be able to do that kind of work if I don't do it myself (i.e., only "golf cart" shops?)?
- Anybody have any recommendations for shops for installation here in the San Francisco Bay Area?
- Anything else I should be worried about? I.e., is my poor little 2-stroke engine going to die trying to do this?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Feel free to tell me how dumb and or crazy I am as well...

-Shugs
I have an 86 3 wheel as far as a tougher suspension goes .heavier springs should do it . But you might want to consider that you cart if it has the stock gas motor is only 9 hp . You are only gonna go so far with what your power plant can handle
Magras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
Shugs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
wow !!! please post pics when done
yea i'd go with a lift (4~6") and bigger tires that you can deflate a little for the sand
lift is fairly simple stock Vehicle load capacity is 800lbs but i would add hd springs front and rear
Thanks Crash. Any particular lift kit and/or tires you'd recommend?

I just looked around at lift kits a bit. What I saw seems fairly pricey! What would you think if I just added the hd springs front and rear? Remember, it's pretty flat out there, and what I really need is increased weight capacity more than added clearance.

Just double checking before I go drop a bunch of money on a lift kit! It doesn't hurt that installing the springs looks fairly straightforward (while I assume a lift kit would be a bit more involved)...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Shugs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magras View Post
I have an 86 3 wheel as far as a tougher suspension goes .heavier springs should do it . But you might want to consider that you cart if it has the stock gas motor is only 9 hp . You are only gonna go so far with what your power plant can handle
Thanks Magras.

It does have the stock 9hp gas motor. When you say "only go so far" do you mean before it:
a) runs out of gas
b) overheats(?)
c) dies a horrible (and permanent) death

-Shugs
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Magras
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugs View Post
Thanks Magras.

It does have the stock 9hp gas motor. When you say "only go so far" do you mean before it:
a) runs out of gas
b) overheats(?)
c) dies a horrible (and permanent) death

-Shugs
sorry . what i meant was with all the added weight. and the tires you currenly have one the cart . that lil 9 horsepower 2 stroke may have a hard time moving through sand . especially if you have a couple passengers added into the mix. i would just say make sure your belts are in good shape.
Magras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If you're going to haul an extra 350 lbs that would be like having two extra passengers as well as the driver. As has already been pointed out you are only working with 9hp however a good 2PG engine is quite the little trooper. I think that I would be first tempted to see what is left in the engine. Beg borrow or steal a compression tester and check it out. Anything under 100 psi would be cause for concern (a fresh engine would be ~140 psi). Another cause for concern would be fitting larger diameter tires. This overgears the engine and bleeds off torque which is exactly what you do not want. There are cheap lift kits available and this one works well, I have it on my cart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-GO-GAS-GO...3319e8&vxp=mtr
although you will not increase your ground clearance the cart body will be raised. With regard to stiffening the rear I would look to coil over shocks which will assist the coils already fitted. If you do end up with the lift kit above they supply extenders for the original shocks. Instead of fitting them just purchase coils overs 4 inches longer than the originals and you have an elegant solution.
I too would like to see the finished cart.
Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Shugs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
If you're going to haul an extra 350 lbs that would be like having two extra passengers as well as the driver. As has already been pointed out you are only working with 9hp however a good 2PG engine is quite the little trooper. I think that I would be first tempted to see what is left in the engine. Beg borrow or steal a compression tester and check it out. Anything under 100 psi would be cause for concern (a fresh engine would be ~140 psi). Another cause for concern would be fitting larger diameter tires. This overgears the engine and bleeds off torque which is exactly what you do not want. There are cheap lift kits available and this one works well, I have it on my cart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-GO-GAS-GO...3319e8&vxp=mtr
although you will not increase your ground clearance the cart body will be raised. With regard to stiffening the rear I would look to coil over shocks which will assist the coils already fitted. If you do end up with the lift kit above they supply extenders for the original shocks. Instead of fitting them just purchase coils overs 4 inches longer than the originals and you have an elegant solution.
I too would like to see the finished cart.
Good luck
Dave
Thanks Dave. I will make sure to test the engine compression. And also check the belts, per Magras' recommendation.

Nice tip on the lift kit -- that's much more affordable than many of the others I've seen listed. Any reason why (i.e., is it much lower "performance" than others)? Just to be clear, that would be fine with me -- like I said I'll only be going 5 mph *max* so it's really more about dealing with the somewhat sandy conditions with the added weight and maybe raising the body a bit.

I didn't mention it before, but part of the plan is that you'll be able to climb up on top (i.e., above the driver/passengers, in the "middle" of the dragon sculpture) to look around, etc., though *not* while the carts in motion!

So, given that and the fact that the steel sculpture is mostly going *above* the driver/passengers' heads (and thus making a higher center of gravity), do you think I might actually just want to skip the lift kit and just get front/rear hd leaf springs?

Re the tires, assuming I need to get new ones regardless (the ones on the cart are pretty old and at least one has a slow leak), and given my needs (slow speed/low handling performance, but "off road" on a totally flat, somewhat sandy surface with some added weight on the cart) what make/model/size would you recommend?

Based on what you said re torque, and the fact that I won't ever need to drive fast, am I right to think that I should just get some new 4- or 6-ply 18" tires? Just remember that unlike most of the folks on this site, in this case I'm not worried if it somehow "looks funny" to have smaller/normal size tires on a cart with a lift kit (if I even get the lift kit).

Finally, a dumb question re the shocks, but I assume I need four of them, right? If I *don't* get the lift kit, are there any particular brands/models you'd recommend? And likewise, if I *do* install that lift kit, any particular brands/models of shocks you like?

Thanks for all y'all's help. Hopefully I can get make a final call re what all I need and order the parts today or tomorrow since I'm heading out with this thing in like 3 weeks!

-Shugs
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
felber61
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So far I agree with most of the suggestions. I have an '87 that I added most of the normal stuff to (tires, rims, lift, rebuilt motor, rear seat) and with four big adults it will roll down a flat surface just fine. I'm talking men 275+ each. The comments about sand concerns me some. I think if you put on tires that had a semi aggressive tread pattern so it will grab you might be okay. Also if you add the lift to take the body up you wouldn't have to worry about the original shocks not being enough. I never have because your fenders basically go straight back and you'd really have to destroy the shock to even rub. I would also recommend new belts and making sure the motor is good. Sounds like this is going to be a parade cart for limited use and those few things will get you by. If in doubt buy a case of beer and find some big construction boys to test out what the added weight will drive like down the road. Nothing like an inexpensive, fun trial run to figure it out.
felber61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaf springs, lift kit install, shocks, tires and wheels
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO