lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default HEI Conversion SUCCESS

I finally got the HEI done. Pic is attached. I initially wanted to install the HEI on a '78 I am restoring but ended up using one of my 85's as a test subject. I know the '85 wiring like the back of my hand so I wanted to test on a known quantity.

I ended up installing on the front of the body support and ran all of the wiring alongside the drivers side frame. I ended up using a "breadbox" for the transistor and resistor install and used push-connectors into it to connect wires. I'll probably solder a circuit board togethed over the winter for something even more permanent. I welded a little shelf onto the frame for it to sit on, along with double sided tape. The actual HEI module is mounted right next to it.

Specs called for at least 2.4 ohms resistance, I am assuming to protect the module from too much current. I have 1.6 in the coil and I added a 1.6 ballast resistor so I am running at 3.2 ohms and still getting plenty of spark.

Performance is far better then expected. Who knows why but this particular cart is just about impossible to time with points. I had some apprehension about using points to trigger the HEI but, to my surprise, the system functions EXACTLY the same as those expensive and sketchy-quality Columbia ignition modules. I didn't have to time this thing at all. I just set the points in the middle and the cart runs perfectly. It hit me that, with this setup, the points serve the exact same purpose as the Hall effect magnets on the Columbia ignition module.

As far as costs are concerned, this conversion was right around $40 for materials and about 2 hours to complete. What's nice is that, should the module ever fail, replacing it will cost $30 for a legit HEI or $10 for a China one. Better, it won't take but 5 minutes to swap it out now that I have the wiring all in place.

We'll see how long it lasts but a big thumbs up so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161006_1558081.jpg (130.8 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Default Re: HEI Conversion SUCCESS

Cool, good job.

You need to make an ignition module thread about all this stuff along with testing them and ask for a sticky. Seriously. All these good threads get lost around here and it's hard to find or remember them.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, it's funny. When I first threw this thing together I went and tested all of the "touch points" of my circuit to make sure I was at 12v all the way from battery to coil. I discovered that I had 12v everywhere but the coil, where I only had 10v. I troubleshot things for a few minutes and just couldn't find an issue. Not expecting spark I turned the motor over and, surprisingly, there was a ton of spark (too much actually as I hadn't installed the ballast resistor yet). I did some research and those HEI modules run between 9 and 10v, not 12. I suppose that explains the 4.7 ohm resistor called for in the HEI circuit but I am not sure how that works.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
top-cat
Getting Wild
Harley Davidson

How about a wiring diagram? I wanna make one!
top-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

With the HEI driving the coil you should not need to worry about resistors in the coil side of the circuit. The HEI module will drive just about any coil especially at the demand level these engines will require. I'm running Ford TFI's which was their later 80's and early 90's design. Its a square coil similar to the GM one but its externally mounted so its got a 2 wire connector for the input and a terminal for the output. The GM version was made to mount in the cap so its not easy to mount one anywhere else.

Did you use the design I found for the driver circuit?

Making mine pretty is on the to do list but its been there for like 5 years now and they still work fine so its not moving up any. Mine are $10 modules and $5 junkyard coils. Rest is stuff I had laying around from other projects so all in all a pretty cheap conversion.

73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yep, I used figure 1. As that diagram is meant for pretty much any points motor I will post a diagram specific to HDs / Columbias when I get some time. It's the same I can just add some clarity to connection points specific to our carts.

I wondered about the need for external resistace. I only added it as is it mentioned in the diagram. What the heck, I have a lot of ballast resistors laying around and it took all of 1 min to put one on. That said, interestingly, before adding the resistor I had a simply amazing amount of spark. You could see that it was over the top with the naked eye. If you touched something metal when the cart was running you could feel some spark. I put the resistor on and that took care of that.

Thing really does work great though. It's nice not having to worry about blowing that $150 module or messing with points.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is a pretty cool setup.......... I have a 2 stroke Yamaha motorcycle I've been having fits with getting it too fire. I need to build one of these. I bet it would work great.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I did diagram #3 but added another LED (and resistor same as led1 and R1) between ground and module B+. I think my yellow LED is the points one and the red is the power on one. It helps in troubleshooting. Red means you got 12v getting to the ignition system, yellow flashing means the points are signaling the module to 'go'. At that point if you don't have spark its a dead module or coil.

I wonder if it would be worth trying to contact a vendor about putting together a kit with the needed electronic parts? You used to be able to get them at Radio Shack but now that most of them have closed its a little harder for the average person to find the stuff. Tons of places you can get the stuff online but problem is even with a crazy markup I don't think any part cost more than $1 so its hard to get together a minimum order that you will have to pay like $7 for minimum shipping.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Another option if sourcing the electronic doodads is too tricky for you would be this kit:

http://www.velleman.eu/products/view...ang=en&id=8946

Its a complete solder yourself kit that you wire between the points and coil. Lots of online places sell these kits. Price seems to range from $25-35.

I have never tried this kit but don't see any reason it would not work on carts.

Here is the manual:
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads...nual_k2543.pdf
Old 10-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Believe it or not, Amazon has every single item needed to do this conversion.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar