lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
simshawk
Not Yet Wild

Default 2018 Onward doesn’t move

Have a 2018 OnWard that won’t move, unit was driven previous day and charged overnight. Next morning removed plug and unit does not move in any direction; looks to be fully charged, nearly 51V. Did notice when I plugged charger back in, the charger doesn’t respond, no lights or beeps. The sensing circuit seems to work as the reverse beeper disables after the plug is inserted. Tried to reset the OBC, but since this was my first attempt, unsure if it worked, and condition still exists. Any feedback is appreciated.

Jerry
simshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2018 Onward doesn’t move

There is no OBC on your cart. They stopped using that in 2014. You should have the ERIC smart charger. What procedure did you follow for the reset attempt? There is not really anything to reset as far as the coNtroller goes, but knowing what exact steps you did may help us.

The reverse buzzer works when you put the FnR switch in R correct? Did the cart get washed or wet for any reason? Was there a big storm or power outage?

Key On, Tow/Run switch in Run, FnR in F, press the Go pedal, you should hear the solenoid click. It should be pretty obvious clunk sorta sound from behind the seat. Access for testing the solenoid can be through the rear access panel but you will have to get under the cart to remove the plastic splash guard that covers the controller.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
simshawk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
There is no OBC on your cart. They stopped using that in 2014. You should have the ERIC smart charger. What procedure did you follow for the reset attempt? There is not really anything to reset as far as the coNtroller goes, but knowing what exact steps you did may help us.

The reverse buzzer works when you put the FnR switch in R correct? Did the cart get washed or wet for any reason? Was there a big storm or power outage?

Key On, Tow/Run switch in Run, FnR in F, press the Go pedal, you should hear the solenoid click. It should be pretty obvious clunk sorta sound from behind the seat. Access for testing the solenoid can be through the rear access panel but you will have to get under the cart to remove the plastic splash guard that covers the controller.
Well that explains why the controller didn’t reset. I followed the standard reset I saw on many boards, unfortunately it didn’t state the specific models years it applied to:

Key switch to off
Set forward/reverse to neutral
Put tow/run switch to tow
Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery pack
Put the tow/run switch to run
Put forward/reverse switch to reverse
Put key switch to on
Lock the throttle pedal down with a second set of hands or object
The reverse buzzer will sound and go off in approximately 30 seconds
Leave the cart like that for 5 min to cause the OBC to reset

Didn’t get wet, I do hear the reverse buzzer, don’t hear the solenoid when depressing the go pedal, charger does nothing when plugged in. We’ve been having storms off and on in NC for the last several weeks. Checked the outlets and circuit breakers, they are fine, hadn’t reset.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
simshawk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simshawk View Post
Well that explains why the controller didn’t reset. I followed the standard reset I saw on many boards, unfortunately it didn’t state the specific models years it applied to:

Key switch to off
Set forward/reverse to neutral
Put tow/run switch to tow
Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery pack
Put the tow/run switch to run
Put forward/reverse switch to reverse
Put key switch to on
Lock the throttle pedal down with a second set of hands or object
The reverse buzzer will sound and go off in approximately 30 seconds
Leave the cart like that for 5 min to cause the OBC to reset

Didn’t get wet, I do hear the reverse buzzer, don’t hear the solenoid when depressing the go pedal, charger does nothing when plugged in. We’ve been having storms off and on in NC for the last several weeks. Checked the outlets and circuit breakers, they are fine, hadn’t reset.
Checked each battery, ~8.5V, noticed batteries were low on water and filled them. I do hear what sounds like a micro switch when depressing the pedal, but nothing like a solenoid.

Also, shouldn't the battery charger always show the blue light when it’s plugged in? Mine doesn’t have any lights illuminated.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Check the 30a fuse near the solenoid that comes from the charge receptacle on the red wire...There is also a 15a fuse.......
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
simshawk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Check the 30a fuse near the solenoid that comes from the charge receptacle on the red wire...There is also a 15a fuse.......
Checked the 30/15A fuses both fine, same with the 2A slow blow. It looks like I may need the CDT to go much further. Was gonna check the 10k resistor but don’t have a wire probe for my DMM. The inside of the box is very clean and all the connections look fine as well.

Is the solenoid the circuit that senses the pedal press? I don’t hear it engaging when I press the pedal.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Put your meter on the 2 small terminals of the solenoid...run/tow switch in run..Key on and in forward..Step on the pedal...You should have pack voltage at the 2 small terminals...If you do the solenoid most likely is bad and not engaging...If you don't you'll have to do more testing..
For safety you should jack one rear tire off the ground while doing the test...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
simshawk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Put your meter on the 2 small terminals of the solenoid...run/tow switch in run..Key on and in forward..Step on the pedal...You should have pack voltage at the 2 small terminals...If you do the solenoid most likely is bad and not engaging...If you don't you'll have to do more testing..
For safety you should jack one rear tire off the ground while doing the test...
You mean the terminals with gator clips? The blue and green wires? Pack voltage between the two? Or between each of them and ground? Just don’t want to short anything.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yeah, there really isn't much that can be reset on these. Any directions that apply to an OBC which is an On-Board Charge computer don't apply to your cart because you don't have an OBC.

The Motor Controller, usually just referred to as controller is totally different. There is no reset procedure for the controller.
On the ERIC carts the charger interfaces directly with the charge lockout function of the controller, and if the controller were stuck in Lockout the Reverse buzzer would not work.

Kinda sounds like the charger got zapped and might have taken out the controller with it. The lights on the charger should come on in sequence when the AC power cord is plugged into the wall, and after they all blink a few times the Blue light should stay on steady. If you have no lights on the charger, that usually indicates that it's taken the dirt nap. You can try another outlet. Also if the charger has not been unplugged from the wall, unplug it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and plug it back in and check to see if any lights come on. If still no lights, then it's new charger time.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
simshawk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Yeah, there really isn't much that can be reset on these. Any directions that apply to an OBC which is an On-Board Charge computer don't apply to your cart because you don't have an OBC.

The Motor Controller, usually just referred to as controller is totally different. There is no reset procedure for the controller.
On the ERIC carts the charger interfaces directly with the charge lockout function of the controller, and if the controller were stuck in Lockout the Reverse buzzer would not work.

Kinda sounds like the charger got zapped and might have taken out the controller with it. The lights on the charger should come on in sequence when the AC power cord is plugged into the wall, and after they all blink a few times the Blue light should stay on steady. If you have no lights on the charger, that usually indicates that it's taken the dirt nap. You can try another outlet. Also if the charger has not been unplugged from the wall, unplug it and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and plug it back in and check to see if any lights come on. If still no lights, then it's new charger time.
Yeah, was wondering if the reverse buzzer shut off when the charger was plugged in the lockout was working properly.

Agree, think the charger is toast. Was gonna take it apart but the thing looks to be sealed with some kinda compound. Wouldn’t the fuses blow before taking out the controller? All of em are OK.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car