lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Changing ball joints to heim joints CC DS

Has anyone ever tried to replace the ball joints in the steering system and replace them with heim joints. Where is the best place to get the heim joints and what issues if any were encountered when making the swap. I would appreciate any info the ball joints on my daughters 03 DS are shot and I am wanting to replace them with heims if at all possible.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Changing ball joints to heim joints CC DS

Having used both, I must ask why are you looking into HEIMs for the '03? The stock Ball Joints are very very good. They fit snug, wont rattle, come with grease joints and the rubber boot resists dirt. The only reason I would recommend anyone update to a heim is if they need a ton of travel in the joint.

If your still set on getting heims, the high quality brand to look at is Johnny Joints, they are greasable and rebuildable and allow a ton of movement. For a much cheaper route go check out Speedway Motors (Beware you get what you pay for). My Speedway Motors heims are noisy, rattle and need squirted with lube often.

Hope that helps.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Uncle jerm I use this cart as an all around beater, most of the time my daughter just runs it back and forth to the golf course or store. I use it to ramble around on the offroad trails that surround the golf course and that is some pretty rough terrain so was thinking that heim joints would be better suited for that purpose.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
Uncle jerm I use this cart as an all around beater, most of the time my daughter just runs it back and forth to the golf course or store. I use it to ramble around on the offroad trails that surround the golf course and that is some pretty rough terrain so was thinking that heim joints would be better suited for that purpose.
If the CC in question has a stock front suspension, stock ball joints would be ideal for you. Its a common misconception but all things being equal - Heims are actually weaker than Ball Joints. The only reason you would want a Heim is they have a higher range of motion over a Ball Joint ...something you will will never exercise in a stock suspension. Besides being weaker in design, another con of Heims is they will wear out faster due to not having dust boots like a ball joint and the Heim design leaves most of the ball exposed. Yes, you can buy boots for Heims, yes you can even buy high end Heims with a teflon seal ring, but you wouldn't be gaining anything over a Ball Joint in a stock suspension, only making it weaker. Again if strength for rough trails are what your after stick to ball joints, especially if you are stock. When you upgrade to 14" of IFS travel, then its time to start looking at Heims.

Consider this, Heims are much easier to implement from scratch because no special tools required to drill a tapered conical hole, no crown nut needed and no cotter pin. All you need are double shear tabs — Yet every single Golf Cart Manufacturer and Nearly every Automobile manufacturer all use Ball Joints.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info Uncle Jerm looks like I will just go with the ball joints as I am using the stock suspension. I know my daughter will be glad to get the cart running again, will stop by the cart dealers on my way home and pick up a set. Again I appreciate the info, it really helped point me in the right direction.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car