lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
sPiKe
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default considering 4ga wire upgrade?

I have a Club Car Precedent with stock controller and motor as well as a Jake's 6in. lift and 23in. tires. In a few months I plan on getting a flipflop rear seat.

I wanted to know if upgrading all my 6ga wires to 4ga will get me anything?

The only mods I have planned for now are to get code 4 or using a code 5 programmer and installing a rear locker.

Will I see any gains in performance? Or should i just wait and see if i upgrade the controller and motor someday? Then do the wire upgrade at the same time?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
sPiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: considering 4ga wire upgrade?

At some point in time you'll need to upgrade the wires regardless, 4g & 2g upgrades are the most most common. Think of it as a water hose, the bigger the hose the larger volume you can pass through it, same goes for the wires, you won't see speed increase but maybe feel a little more toque when you load it up like going up a hill or carrying extra weight.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Looks to me like you are perhaps headed for a 2 gauge upgrade in the future. I would avoid a 4 gauge, but consider the 2 gauge if after all your interim upgrades your cables get more than warm(resistence =heat=wasted power). When accelerating, the current from the controller to the motor can be significantly higher than the battery to controller current, so the 2 gauge from the controller to the motor may make sense now and the rest later.The difference in cost from 4 gauge to 2 gauge is minimal. If you have to go up hills, especially long ones, then the change of the battery cables is most likely a must also. You probably won't notice too much improvement, but in theory you pick-up about 5% of power when going from 6 gauge to 4 gauge. This will give you a nudge/increase in top speed and range. Note: Some of the theoretical 5% gain is lost in the mechanical and electrical efficiency of any system, so net gain is less than 5%, but the project is still a good one to investigate further.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
sPiKe
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I just wasn't sure if 4ga on a stock setup would benifical.
I already have some welding cable in 4ga at the house so no need to buy it.

So your saying 2ga from controller to motor would be a good idea and 4ga everywhere else is ok?
sPiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuggies48IN View Post
Looks to me like you are perhaps headed for a 2 gauge upgrade in the future. I would avoid a 4 gauge, but consider the 2 gauge if after all your interim upgrades your cables get more than warm(resistence =heat=wasted power). When accelerating, the current from the controller to the motor can be significantly higher than the battery to controller current, so the 2 gauge from the controller to the motor may make sense now and the rest later.The difference in cost from 4 gauge to 2 gauge is minimal. If you have to go up hills, especially long ones, then the change of the battery cables is most likely a must also. You probably won't notice too much improvement, but in theory you pick-up about 5% of power when going from 6 gauge to 4 gauge. This will give you a nudge/increase in top speed and range. Note: Some of the theoretical 5% gain is lost in the mechanical and electrical efficiency of any system, so net gain is less than 5%, but the project is still a good one to investigate further.
How can the amperage from the controller to the motor be higher that from the batteries, please explain this?
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
How can the amperage from the controller to the motor be higher that from the batteries, please explain this?
Enquiring minds want to know!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

The output of the speed controllers in DC carts is PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) rather than straight-line DC, so cables designed to move DC current need to be a little 'beefer' for post controller applications due to PWMs 'skin effect'. I now pass this on to Johnnyb, as I have slipped into the deep end of the pool.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

The cables are the foundation of your system. You wouldn't build your car with a 2 gallon gas tank, and thus you shouldn't build your cart on a small gauge cable if you intend on getting performance from it. Many aftermarket parts require larger cables, and the cost differential between 2ga and 4ga is relatively minimal. If you are wanting to make them yourself, make sure you don't use plumbing solder on your lugs as it will leave you greatly disappointed.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

"When accelerating, the current from the controller to the motor can be significantly higher than the battery to controller current"

I checked my files and I found I received this info from the owner and President of an electric car builder. Where did he go wrong? Didn't check with Engineering Dept. or ?

Voltage and current 'step-up' with each battery in series, so the controller will see the same current as the controller, but the battery pack only delivers/sees the max current at the outlet of the last battery. Could this be what he was trying to communicate? Or?????
Old 11-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

the controller

Opps - this should read 'the battery pack'
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car