lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default serial number

someone just gave me aclub car DS the serial number starts with A 97. after looking at the sticky the cart should be a 97 DS. Did I read it right?

thats 2 years newer then my ezgo, should I sell the ezgo metalist and redo the club car. they both are 36 volt
what one is better to upgrade for speed
jim,s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: serial number

A97 is a 36v resistor coil cart.
It has a 1950s drive system which Ezgo stopped using in the early 90s.
You can convert it to solid state and upgrade performance but it's going to cost a little more than upgrading the Ezgo.
If your Medalist is a DCS drive cart it will be much easier to speed up.
If the Medalist is a series drive then they will run out about the same once the CC is converted to solid state.

Either way the Ezgo is a more modern drive system and will cost less to speed up. But - remember

These are series drive carts. A bigger speed control will allow the motor to access more amperage. The motor will use this additional amperage to make more torque which will help in the power department but it will not increase top end speed - more voltage will increase motor rpm. 48v will increase top end by 33%.
You will have to upgrade the controller and solenoid in order to be able to run 48v. The stock motor can run on 48v. Aftermarket motors built for more torque or more speed or a combination of both torque and speed are available.
I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks alot Scotty. The club car needs a good cleaning, batteries, and a paint job. and thats from sitting for 2 years. I did put water in the old batteries and a good charge just to see if it would run. Low and behold it ran like a top. Speed was there brakes were spot on, and this cart is very quiet no noise from the motor or rear end. and thats with dry rotted tires that I pumped up to tow it home.
I think this would be a good cart to upgrade to 48 volt. The trick would be to get the wife to buy in.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
crash test dummy

i love the DS carts
it may be 50's but that is the good part they are ez to fix
why do you need the speed ?
scotty can set you up with 48v controller cart upgrade
and that is the best you can ask for
also think ahead , do you want bigger tires and lift ?
try this for wife
Old 11-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

You know crash test I dont know why I need the speed. Maybe for so many years I worked on cars. adding a little something to boost em up, I dont know.
This club car was free and it does need batteries so maybe put 8 volts in it. I may fix it up and sell it, So that I can do more to my ezgo. Right now it runs better then the ezgo. why that is I dont know. I will just have to see how the cards fall. maybe someone will come make an offer so they can have a project cart. as youcan see I'm up in the air on this one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car