lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
TomInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Newbie

Newbie cart owner. (Not internet forum newbie).

We have a family ranch near Johnson City Texas and I've been looking for a good solution for a buggy around the ranch. It is in the boonies and is a 40 mile round trip from the ranch to get gas so I decided after reading up that an electric cart was the answer having mostly flat terrain.

Got a 2011 Club Car Electric Precedent with lift kit, off-road tires, flip fop seat and a basket. I spent this weekend exploring the ranch, it handled everything I tried. I’m very happy with the buy and I already have a million questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c6.jpg (72.5 KB, 0 views)
TomInAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Newbie

Nice cart. Ask away. That's why we're here. There's more cart knowledge on this site than anywhere else on the internet.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

You have definately found the right place for questions. There is a wealth of knowledge here, not to mention some of the nicest people. The people here will go out of the way to help, so don't be afraid you are asking a stupid question we all have at one time or another. Welcome to the forum.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

First thing is do not run the cart below 50% state of charge, way to know this is with a good voltmeter mounted on the cart. You want to keep your cart on the charger whenever possible even on the shortest trips. In the stickies we have threads about batteries and how to get the most out of them, this is a good starting point. Your cart looks like it is in good shape, batteries is a big investment so I'd start there.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
TomInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Nice cart. Ask away. That's why we're here. There's more cart knowledge on this site than anywhere else on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizbgolf View Post
You have definately found the right place for questions. There is a wealth of knowledge here, not to mention some of the nicest people. The people here will go out of the way to help, so don't be afraid you are asking a stupid question we all have at one time or another. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've been doing some searching. It looks like I did pick a winner. I did not mention the batteries are 2013's not 2011 like the cart.

Question are about charging, been reading about BatteryMINDer and the like. Seems like a good solution. What I am not clear on is should I go that route or is the computer smart enough to keep it charged using the Power Drive? It seems I read the computer will turn it back on every 14 days?

Also is it better to run it down a bit or do top off charges? Example, I am at the ranch, run around in the morning and come back to house for lunch. Should I plug back in for the hour or so or wait?

Fender flares. Worth it or not for Mudder tires? If so I assume you have to drill the fenders?

Windshield? Tinted, Clear?

Is there such a thing as a battery gauge, like a fuel gauge. Instead of just waiting for the yellow light?

Last ( at least for this post). Are the solar panels that go on the top of cart worth the money?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
TomInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
First thing is do not run the cart below 50% state of charge, way to know this is with a good voltmeter mounted on the cart. You want to keep your cart on the charger whenever possible even on the shortest trips. In the stickies we have threads about batteries and how to get the most out of them, this is a good starting point. Your cart looks like it is in good shape, batteries is a big investment so I'd start there.
Ah nice, you answered one of my questions before i typed it.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The computer will do the 14 day refresh charge in a perfect world. Lots of people on here claim that they've never seen that function actually work. Others claim to have seen it happen. I've seen it before, but I truly believe that it doesn't always work like it's supposed to. There are other chargers out there that will maintain a full charge as long as they're plugged into the cart. An on-board computer bypass is necessary to make these chargers work. A simple bypass requires you to take the black negative charge wire from the back of the receptacle and run it straight to the main negative battery post of the vehicle. It currently runs into the back of the OBC. You may then take the six pin connector behind the OBC, unplug it, and permanently jump the red wire to the blue wire (pin 2 and pin6) in the vehicle wire harness at this connector. This will allow the vehicle to operate normally without the OBC as a part of the vehicle. It may then be physically removed from the vehicle as it is no longer needed. The most popular charger is the DPI accusense charger. It has different modes for different brands of batteries and provides a good charge. It will also maintain a full charge on the battery pack as long as it's plugged in. Another option would be something like the new Lester High Frequency "Summit" charger. It operates much the same way. It's not a transformer style charger like the DPI, but based on my experience, works just as good. For optimum battery health, leave the charger plugged in at all times when you're not using the cart. Do not believe the old wives tales about running the cart down completely before recharging. These lead acid batteries like to maintain as close to a full charge as possible at all times. Fender flares are a nice addition if you have a lift kit and off-set wheels. Yes they fenders will have to be drilled but they really look nice once you get them put on. As far as windshields go, we never sell clear ones. The tinted windshields are not very dark and could almost be sold as clear windshields and nobody would ever question it. There are good battery meters that will give you the actual voltage read-out and there are bar gauges that work as a gauge. The voltage meters are more accurate, but you've got to learn how to read them. Once you figure out what is charged and what is dead, you'll get to know how to read it. There are state-of-charge charts available to assist with this. I've used a solar panel once. We installed it on a Precedent and left it outside for 6 months without a charger being plugged into it. Brought it in the shop and hooked a battery discharge machine up to it and it discharged at 100 minutes, which is absolutely perfect for a fully charged vehicle with good batteries. I can definitely say that they work, but if you've got a smart charger that works as good as either of the ones I mentioned, I wouldn't get the solar roof. It's just unnecessary added weight and extra money you won't need to spend if you have access to regular charging.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
TomInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The computer will do the 14 day refresh charge in a perfect world. Lots of people on here claim that they've never seen that function actually work. Others claim to have seen it happen. I've seen it before, but I truly believe that it doesn't always work like it's supposed to. There are other chargers out there that will maintain a full charge as long as they're plugged into the cart. An on-board computer bypass is necessary to make these chargers work. A simple bypass requires you to take the black negative charge wire from the back of the receptacle and run it straight to the main negative battery post of the vehicle. It currently runs into the back of the OBC. You may then take the six pin connector behind the OBC, unplug it, and permanently jump the red wire to the blue wire (pin 2 and pin6) in the vehicle wire harness at this connector. This will allow the vehicle to operate normally without the OBC as a part of the vehicle. It may then be physically removed from the vehicle as it is no longer needed. The most popular charger is the DPI accusense charger. It has different modes for different brands of batteries and provides a good charge. It will also maintain a full charge on the battery pack as long as it's plugged in. Another option would be something like the new Lester High Frequency "Summit" charger. It operates much the same way. It's not a transformer style charger like the DPI, but based on my experience, works just as good. For optimum battery health, leave the charger plugged in at all times when you're not using the cart. Do not believe the old wives tales about running the cart down completely before recharging. These lead acid batteries like to maintain as close to a full charge as possible at all times. Fender flares are a nice addition if you have a lift kit and off-set wheels. Yes they fenders will have to be drilled but they really look nice once you get them put on. As far as windshields go, we never sell clear ones. The tinted windshields are not very dark and could almost be sold as clear windshields and nobody would ever question it. There are good battery meters that will give you the actual voltage read-out and there are bar gauges that work as a gauge. The voltage meters are more accurate, but you've got to learn how to read them. Once you figure out what is charged and what is dead, you'll get to know how to read it. There are state-of-charge charts available to assist with this. I've used a solar panel once. We installed it on a Precedent and left it outside for 6 months without a charger being plugged into it. Brought it in the shop and hooked a battery discharge machine up to it and it discharged at 100 minutes, which is absolutely perfect for a fully charged vehicle with good batteries. I can definitely say that they work, but if you've got a smart charger that works as good as either of the ones I mentioned, I wouldn't get the solar roof. It's just unnecessary added weight and extra money you won't need to spend if you have access to regular charging.

Thanks a bunch. That's a lot to digest. The first thing I am going to do is wait and see how it performs with the stock charger. I should know in a couple of months of weekly use. I'll plug in any time I am near the barn as well.

The fender flares can wait, since we are in a multi year drought I may not see mud again for months.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
TomInAustin
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I don't think I mentioned enough how much I love this cart, its smooth, quiet, pulls a lot of weight (brother in law and his 3 buddies top a half ton) and doesn't make me haul gas in the car.

Its quiet enough i was able to sneak up on a herd of White Tails, got with in 70 yards down wind before they spooked.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #10
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInAustin View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've been doing some searching. It looks like I did pick a winner. I did not mention the batteries are 2013's not 2011 like the cart.
Question are about charging, been reading about BatteryMINDer and the like. Seems like a good solution. What I am not clear on is should I go that route or is the computer smart enough to keep it charged using the Power Drive? It seems I read the computer will turn it back on every 14 days?

Also is it better to run it down a bit or do top off charges? Example, I am at the ranch, run around in the morning and come back to house for lunch. Should I plug back in for the hour or so or wait?

Fender flares. Worth it or not for Mudder tires? If so I assume you have to drill the fenders?

Windshield? Tinted, Clear?

Is there such a thing as a battery gauge, like a fuel gauge. Instead of just waiting for the yellow light?

Last ( at least for this post). Are the solar panels that go on the top of cart worth the money?
Just a wild thought, batteries lasted two years with the other guy, changed in 2013, 2013 to now is two years. I would check connections and keep them charged before adding distilled water. Messing with batteries you should always wear Eye protection and I keep some baking soda and water close, drops of acid will burn quick,...
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car